Nuala Ní Chonchúir, Scottish Writers Centre, CCA, 29th April, 7 p.m.
Nuala Ní Chonchúir
CCA, 350 Sauchiehall Street, Glasgow G2 3JD
Tuesday 29th April 2014, 7pm to 8.30pm,
‘International Event’ with Nuala Ní Chonchúir.
Rising star of the Irish literary scene, Nuala Ní Chonchúir comes to Glasgow to promote her new novel “The Closet of Savage Mementos”, set in a fictionalised Ullapool and inspired by her own experiences in Scotland in her early twenties. Her narrator, Lillis, falls pregnant by an older local man but chooses to return home to Dublin. The novel asks the question: does poor parenting cause poor parenting, or a fear of parenting badly? It is about grief and love and how the two become entwined with unpredictable results.
Nuala Ní Chonchúir is a fiction writer and poet. She has published one novel, four collections of short fiction, a chapbook of flash fiction and three full poetry collections. Born in Dublin in 1970; she lives in East Galway with her husband and three children. Her fourth short story collection Mother America was published by New Island in 2012; The Irish Times said of it: ‘Ní Chonchúir’s precisely made but deliciously sensual stories mark her as a carrier of Edna O’Brien’s flame.’ Her début novel You (New Island, 2010) was called ‘a gem’ by The Irish Examiner and ‘a heart-warmer’ by The Irish Times. A chapbook of flash fiction, Of Dublin and Other Fictions, is just out from Tower Press in the US.
Nuala has won many writing awards including RTÉ radio’s Francis MacManus Award, the Cúirt New Writing Prize, the Jane Geske Award (USA), the inaugural Jonathan Swift Award, the Dublin Review of Books flash fiction prize and the Cecil Day Lewis Award. She was shortlisted for the European Prize for Literature and most recently won the Gladstone’s Library Flash Fiction Prize (UK). www.nualanichonchuir.com
Tickets: £6/(£3 for concessions), at the door. FREE to SWC members.
This section: Books, Talks, Poetry and Creative Writing Events
Filed under: Books, Talks, Poetry and Creative Writing Events
- Kavya Prize – New Writers Prize To Celebrate Scotland’s Ethnically Diverse Communities
- Second International Alasdair Gray Conference
- Balloch Open Mic Blog: A New Kid On The Block
- Calton Ceilidh Open Mic 14 December, 2021
- Scottish Writers Christmas Speakeasy 2021
- Balloch Open Mic Blog: Interview with Evelyn Lawrie
- Book launch: Like A Tree Walking by Vahni Capildeo
- Community Ownership – Assets or Liabilities Online Discussion
- Creative Conversations: Apphia Campbell
- Book Launch: Wild Women Of A Certain Age, Magi Gibson
- Poetry and the Climate Crisis: Scotland and India
- The Landing Hub – COP26 Fringe Event
- GWL – Walking Tour with Denise Mina
- Book Week Scotland: Writing Trumpet with Jackie Kay
- Book Week Scotland – Built Upon the Rock SWC
- COP26: A Radical Act of Love, Arborescence
- Calton Ceilidh anthology by Ruby McCann
- COP26: Towards Net Zero – speakers and discussion
- Climate Emergency Newsroom, University of Glasgow
- Samantha Walton Creative Conversations