Nuala Ní Chonchúir, Scottish Writers Centre, CCA, 29th April, 7 p.m.
Nuala Ní Chonchúir
CCA, 350 Sauchiehall Street, Glasgow G2 3JD
Tuesday 29th April 2014, 7pm to 8.30pm,
‘International Event’ with Nuala Ní Chonchúir.
Rising star of the Irish literary scene, Nuala Ní Chonchúir comes to Glasgow to promote her new novel “The Closet of Savage Mementos”, set in a fictionalised Ullapool and inspired by her own experiences in Scotland in her early twenties. Her narrator, Lillis, falls pregnant by an older local man but chooses to return home to Dublin. The novel asks the question: does poor parenting cause poor parenting, or a fear of parenting badly? It is about grief and love and how the two become entwined with unpredictable results.
Nuala Ní Chonchúir is a fiction writer and poet. She has published one novel, four collections of short fiction, a chapbook of flash fiction and three full poetry collections. Born in Dublin in 1970; she lives in East Galway with her husband and three children. Her fourth short story collection Mother America was published by New Island in 2012; The Irish Times said of it: ‘Ní Chonchúir’s precisely made but deliciously sensual stories mark her as a carrier of Edna O’Brien’s flame.’ Her début novel You (New Island, 2010) was called ‘a gem’ by The Irish Examiner and ‘a heart-warmer’ by The Irish Times. A chapbook of flash fiction, Of Dublin and Other Fictions, is just out from Tower Press in the US.
Nuala has won many writing awards including RTÉ radio’s Francis MacManus Award, the Cúirt New Writing Prize, the Jane Geske Award (USA), the inaugural Jonathan Swift Award, the Dublin Review of Books flash fiction prize and the Cecil Day Lewis Award. She was shortlisted for the European Prize for Literature and most recently won the Gladstone’s Library Flash Fiction Prize (UK). www.nualanichonchuir.com
Tickets: £6/(£3 for concessions), at the door. FREE to SWC members.
This section: Books, Talks, Poetry Events
Filed under: Books, Talks, Poetry Events
- Cheeky Besom Productions – ‘Artists With Attitude’ Presents Linda Jackson
- Fessen/Reared New Poetry Collection by Lesley Benzie, Book Launch
- Poetry Slam – Open to All – The Tron
- Dardishi Festival at CCA
- The IASSIDD Exhibition ProjectAbility
- International Women’s Day – #EachforEqual: What Difference Does a Decade Make?
- Roots Festival – An Evening with Wullie, George and Friends
- Poor Wurld by Jim Ferguson – Book Launch Party
- Evening of Stories and Songs with Kirstin Innes and Outi Smith
- Aye Write 2020: Memoirs and Confessions – Justified Sinners Speakeasy
- Books at the Botanics
- Creative Conversations: Niall O’Gallagher
- It’s Time To Talk About Mental Health – Part Two
- Aye Write:Claudia Hammond, The Art of Rest
- Aye Write: Andrew Greig and Chris Agee
- Paisley Book Festival: Jenny’s Well Press presents: Writers and Rebellion
- Aye Write: Stewart Ennis and Okechuwu Nzelu
- Rootsy Rammy
- The Muse at the Playhouse with Linda Jaxson
- More Than Words – Poetry Night with Imogen Stirling