Next Generation Poets 2014: National Tour, The Mitchell Wednesday 1 October
Next Generation Poets 2014: National Tour stops at The Mitchell
Wednesday 1 October
Next Generation Poets 2014
1 Oct 2014 • 6:00 P.M – 7:00 P.M • Mitchell Library
Aye Write! Glasgow’s Book Festival and St Mungo’s Mirrorball are delighted to announce this free evening of new poetry presented by The Poetry Book Society.
The event is part of a national tour celebrating the newly announced Next Generation Poets 2014 list.
The Next Generation Poets accolade is awarded by The Poetry Book Society just once every ten years, to 20 of the country’s most exciting new poets who have published their first volume of poems in the last decade.
The Glasgow leg of the tour features Shetland-based Jen Hadfield, who won the highly regarded TS Eliot Prize in 2008, and Sam Willetts, whose remarkable journey has taken him from heroin addiction and homelessness to the publication of his first volume of poetry to universal acclaim.
The event also includes Don Paterson, from the 1994 Generation. Don is an Aye Write! regular and one of Scotland’s best known poets, and has been awarded both an OBE the Queen’s Gold Medal for Poetry. The programme is completed by Glaswegian poet, writer and blogger McGuire.
This Next Generation Poets 2014 event will take place in Glasgow’s Mitchell Library, in the Jeffrey Room. Places are free but should be booked in advance by phoning 0141 287 2951 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
About Next Generation Poets
This is the third time the accolade will be awarded, having already launched a raft of illustrious careers in the past: the 20 New Generation Poets in 1994 included the likes of Simon Armitage, John Burnside and Carol Ann Duffy; and in 2004 it included Alice Oswald, Owen Sheers and Jean Sprackland.
North Street, Glasgow G3 7DN
This section: Books, Talks, Poetry Events
Filed under: Books, Talks, Poetry Events
- An Evening with Mary Irvine – ‘My Greek Love Affair’
- Creative Conversations: Abir Mukherjee – Crime Novelist
- Penetrate: Translate Reading Group: Five Measures of Expatriation by Vahni Capildeo CCA
- Book Launch: The Siren Awakes by Linda Jackson
- Woodlands Community Gardens, Storytelling Circle ‘Tell A Story’ Workshop
- Scottish Writers’ Centre Dove Tales: Dia de los Muertos
- Irene Lebeter, Meet the Author, Fruin Fam
- ‘A Place for the Work and the Human Being’ Kelvin Hall
- From Lens to Pen, Finnieston
- Creative Conversations: Robert Alan Jamieson – Shetlandic Poet and Translator
- Sloot – it’s Oot!!! – Book Launch with Ian Macpherson
- Glasgow’s Welcome University of Glasgow
- Bearing Witness: the state of journalism and press freedom across the globe
- James McCune Smith Memorial Lecture Black History Month 2019 University of Glasgow
- Black Abolitionists in Scotland, Black History Month 2019
- PURGATORY Dante’s Divine Trilogy Part Two by Alasdair Gray
- Creative Conversations Sara Sheridan
- Professor J. Edward Chamberlin National Poetry Day University of Glasgow
- Poets Tony Walsh and Stephen James Smith at Cottiers
- LUX Scotland presents: where did we land Fi Dem 1 and 11