Next Generation Poets 2014: National Tour, The Mitchell Wednesday 1 October
Next Generation Poets 2014: National Tour stops at The Mitchell
Wednesday 1 October
Next Generation Poets 2014
1 Oct 2014 • 6:00 P.M – 7:00 P.M • Mitchell Library
Aye Write! Glasgow’s Book Festival and St Mungo’s Mirrorball are delighted to announce this free evening of new poetry presented by The Poetry Book Society.
The event is part of a national tour celebrating the newly announced Next Generation Poets 2014 list.
The Next Generation Poets accolade is awarded by The Poetry Book Society just once every ten years, to 20 of the country’s most exciting new poets who have published their first volume of poems in the last decade.
The Glasgow leg of the tour features Shetland-based Jen Hadfield, who won the highly regarded TS Eliot Prize in 2008, and Sam Willetts, whose remarkable journey has taken him from heroin addiction and homelessness to the publication of his first volume of poetry to universal acclaim.
The event also includes Don Paterson, from the 1994 Generation. Don is an Aye Write! regular and one of Scotland’s best known poets, and has been awarded both an OBE the Queen’s Gold Medal for Poetry. The programme is completed by Glaswegian poet, writer and blogger McGuire.
This Next Generation Poets 2014 event will take place in Glasgow’s Mitchell Library, in the Jeffrey Room. Places are free but should be booked in advance by phoning 0141 287 2951 or emailing email@example.com
About Next Generation Poets
This is the third time the accolade will be awarded, having already launched a raft of illustrious careers in the past: the 20 New Generation Poets in 1994 included the likes of Simon Armitage, John Burnside and Carol Ann Duffy; and in 2004 it included Alice Oswald, Owen Sheers and Jean Sprackland.
North Street, Glasgow G3 7DN
This section: Books, Talks, Poetry Events
Filed under: Books, Talks, Poetry Events
- Books at the Botanics, Christmas 2019
- Are We In A Book – book launch The Dram
- I Am A Rohinga Creative Conversations
- Karen Campbell: Novelist at Creative Conversations
- Have Yourself a Literary Solstice, Poetry is the Way to Peace
- Paisley Book Festival 2020
- Christmas Shopping at Thistle Books Glasgow West End
- Switch Off – Centre for Confidence and Wellbeing
- The Great Hack Screening and Discussion CCA
- Glasgow Libraries Christmas Reading Challenge for Kids
- Mary Irvine’s blog: West Dunbartonshire Book Week November 2019
- Making Her Mark Launch Event
- The Siren Awakes by Linda Jackson, West End Launch
- Book Week Scotland 2019: Kerry Hudson
- The Big Talk, Men and Mental Health at The Ice Box
- Book launch: The Light Acknowledgers by Gerry Cambridge
- Telling Invents Told Lis Rhodes
- Thomas A Clark: Poet Artist Curator at Creative Converstions
- Charlie Gracie, Donal McLaughlin and Finola Scott CCA
- Mary Irvine: Book Week Scotland 2029 – Events in West Dunbartonshire