New Tenements – Architecture and the Return to the Inner City, The Lighthouse
First of our series of talks on architecture and design in 2018. There will be a short drinks reception from 6pm, with the discussion beginning shortly after.
18 January, 2018 6 – 8 p.m.
In the last decades city centres have profoundly changed. Not only in Glasgow, but all over Europe inner-city regeneration has replaced suburbanization as the new policy paradigm, and many once decaying inner cities are now renovated and populated by the new middle classes.
The event will look at the “return to the inner city” in Europe from three different perspectives. Jonathan Charley (University of Strathclyde) and Chris Leslie (independent photographer) will look at Moscow, where a huge regeneration programme has just started that aims at demolition and rebuilding of Khrushchev-era buildings. Rebecca Madgin (University of Glasgow) will analyse the re-purposing of historic industrial buildings in British city centres. Florian Urban (Glasgow School of Art) will present “new tenements” – dense residences in the inner city – as the architecture of the “return to the inner city” all over Europe.
The evening will close with the release of Florian Urban’s book “The New Tenement – Residences in the Inner City Since 1970” (Routledge, 2018).
This talk is free but ticketed. Donations are welcome on the evening.
The Lighthouse 11 Mitchell Lane, G1 3NU
Free Event Register Online
This section: Books, Talks, Poetry Events
Filed under: Books, Talks, Poetry Events
- Different from Others with Illustrated Talk, GFT
- Creative Conversation: Kate Charlesworth, Illustrator and Writer
- Helen McClory: Short Story Writer and Novelist at Creative Conversations
- Sonnet Youth #31 Old Hairdressers
- Launch of Glasgow Historical City
- The Siren Awakes by Linda Jackson, West End Launch
- Petticoats and Pinnacles, NLS Kelvinhall
- Dove Tales: Home Front Celtic Connections 2020
- Jolly Beggars Banquet Cheeky Besom Productions
- Switch Off – Centre for Confidence and Wellbeing
- Creative Conversations, Monday Lunchtimes, University of Glasgow Chapel
- Benny Lynch Heritage Trail, Calton Bar
- Scottish Writers’ Centre Periodical Publishing with Gerry Cambridge, Joy Hendry & Henry Bell
- Val McDermid Crime Writer – Creative Conversations
- Paisley Book Festival 2020
- Glasgow Libraries Christmas Reading Challenge for Kids
- Books at the Botanics, Christmas 2019
- Are We In A Book – book launch The Dram
- I Am A Rohinga Creative Conversations
- Karen Campbell: Novelist at Creative Conversations