New Tenements – Architecture and the Return to the Inner City, The Lighthouse
First of our series of talks on architecture and design in 2018. There will be a short drinks reception from 6pm, with the discussion beginning shortly after.
18 January, 2018 6 – 8 p.m.
In the last decades city centres have profoundly changed. Not only in Glasgow, but all over Europe inner-city regeneration has replaced suburbanization as the new policy paradigm, and many once decaying inner cities are now renovated and populated by the new middle classes.
The event will look at the “return to the inner city” in Europe from three different perspectives. Jonathan Charley (University of Strathclyde) and Chris Leslie (independent photographer) will look at Moscow, where a huge regeneration programme has just started that aims at demolition and rebuilding of Khrushchev-era buildings. Rebecca Madgin (University of Glasgow) will analyse the re-purposing of historic industrial buildings in British city centres. Florian Urban (Glasgow School of Art) will present “new tenements” – dense residences in the inner city – as the architecture of the “return to the inner city” all over Europe.
The evening will close with the release of Florian Urban’s book “The New Tenement – Residences in the Inner City Since 1970” (Routledge, 2018).
This talk is free but ticketed. Donations are welcome on the evening.
The Lighthouse 11 Mitchell Lane, G1 3NU
Free Event Register Online
This section: Books, Talks, Poetry Events
Filed under: Books, Talks, Poetry Events
- ‘the lactic acid in the calves of your despair’ poetry collection by Ali Whitelock
- New Collection of Poems: Poor Wurld by Jim Ferguson
- The Clearing: A memoir of art, family and mental health by Samantha Clark
- The Siren Awakes – memoir by Linda Jackson
- Blessed Assurance by Stewart Ennis
- ‘Doors tae Naewye’ poetry by Christie Williamson
- Poor Wurld by Jim Ferguson – Book Launch Party Postponed
- Keeping Time novel by Thomas Legendre
- Much Left Unsaid by Finola Scott – poetry
- Freddy Anderson, Afternoon of Literature, Poetry and Song
- Women Writers: Maria Marchinadu, Tracy Patrick and Eloise Oui
- Neu Reekie at Aye Write
- Aye Write: Andrew Greig and Chris Agee
- Christie Williamson – Doors tae Naewye Launch at Express Yourself
- Remember Tom Leonard, CCA
- Ali Whitelock and Skye Loneragan – Scottish Writers Centre
- Aye Write: Ferlie Leed – The Rhymer on his Hoalidays
- Literary Legends Book Stall – International Women’s Week
- Books at the Botanics
- Aye Write 2020: Humans of Scotland