New Tenements – Architecture and the Return to the Inner City, The Lighthouse
First of our series of talks on architecture and design in 2018. There will be a short drinks reception from 6pm, with the discussion beginning shortly after.
18 January, 2018 6 – 8 p.m.
In the last decades city centres have profoundly changed. Not only in Glasgow, but all over Europe inner-city regeneration has replaced suburbanization as the new policy paradigm, and many once decaying inner cities are now renovated and populated by the new middle classes.
The event will look at the “return to the inner city” in Europe from three different perspectives. Jonathan Charley (University of Strathclyde) and Chris Leslie (independent photographer) will look at Moscow, where a huge regeneration programme has just started that aims at demolition and rebuilding of Khrushchev-era buildings. Rebecca Madgin (University of Glasgow) will analyse the re-purposing of historic industrial buildings in British city centres. Florian Urban (Glasgow School of Art) will present “new tenements” – dense residences in the inner city – as the architecture of the “return to the inner city” all over Europe.
The evening will close with the release of Florian Urban’s book “The New Tenement – Residences in the Inner City Since 1970” (Routledge, 2018).
This talk is free but ticketed. Donations are welcome on the evening.
The Lighthouse 11 Mitchell Lane, G1 3NU
Free Event Register Online
This section: Books, Talks, Poetry and Creative Writing Events
Filed under: Books, Talks, Poetry and Creative Writing Events
- New Patterns for Paisley, Paisley Book Festival
- What It Means To Overcome – Paisley Film Festival
- Paisley Book Festival – A Kist of Thistles
- The Burns Supper Addressed Burns Centre University of Glasgow
- Hannah Lavery Creative Conversations
- The World I Fell Out Of – Melanie Reid
- Vivian French and The Giant’s Tea Party
- Believe in Scotland Virtual Burns Supper
- A Virtual Burns Night Edinburgh Castle
- Paisley Book Festival 2021 – Online
- Creative Conversations: Oyinkan Braithwaite
- Multi-talented and Versatile – Laura Turnbull Fyfe
- Balloch Open Mic – Vale Lad ‘Done Good’ – again
- Balloch House Hotel Open Mic (in abeyance)
- Weird Pleasure by Jim Ferguson review of the launch by Pat Byrne
- Rymour Books: Cultivating the Literary Arts
- Mary Irvine’s Blog: A Year to Remember – or forget..
- Book Launch: Weird Pleasure by Jim Ferguson
- Damian Barr, Creative Conversations
- Creative Conversations: Anuradha Roy