New Tenements – Architecture and the Return to the Inner City, The Lighthouse
First of our series of talks on architecture and design in 2018. There will be a short drinks reception from 6pm, with the discussion beginning shortly after.
18 January, 2018 6 – 8 p.m.
In the last decades city centres have profoundly changed. Not only in Glasgow, but all over Europe inner-city regeneration has replaced suburbanization as the new policy paradigm, and many once decaying inner cities are now renovated and populated by the new middle classes.
The event will look at the “return to the inner city” in Europe from three different perspectives. Jonathan Charley (University of Strathclyde) and Chris Leslie (independent photographer) will look at Moscow, where a huge regeneration programme has just started that aims at demolition and rebuilding of Khrushchev-era buildings. Rebecca Madgin (University of Glasgow) will analyse the re-purposing of historic industrial buildings in British city centres. Florian Urban (Glasgow School of Art) will present “new tenements” – dense residences in the inner city – as the architecture of the “return to the inner city” all over Europe.
The evening will close with the release of Florian Urban’s book “The New Tenement – Residences in the Inner City Since 1970” (Routledge, 2018).
This talk is free but ticketed. Donations are welcome on the evening.
The Lighthouse 11 Mitchell Lane, G1 3NU
Free Event Register Online
This section: Books, Talks, Poetry Events
Filed under: Books, Talks, Poetry Events
- I Am A Rohinga Creative Conversations
- Karen Campbell: Novelist at Creative Conversations
- Christmas Shopping at Thistle Books Glasgow West End
- Have Yourself a Literary Solstice, Poetry is the Way to Peace
- Paisley Book Festival 2020
- Switch Off – Centre for Confidence and Wellbeing
- The Great Hack Screening and Discussion CCA
- Glasgow Libraries Christmas Reading Challenge for Kids
- Mary Irvine’s blog: West Dunbartonshire Book Week November 2019
- Making Her Mark Launch Event
- The Siren Awakes by Linda Jackson, West End Launch
- Book Week Scotland 2019: Kerry Hudson
- The Big Talk, Men and Mental Health at The Ice Box
- Book launch: The Light Acknowledgers by Gerry Cambridge
- Telling Invents Told Lis Rhodes
- Thomas A Clark: Poet Artist Curator at Creative Converstions
- Charlie Gracie, Donal McLaughlin and Finola Scott CCA
- Mary Irvine: Book Week Scotland 2029 – Events in West Dunbartonshire
- Nina Allan Speculative Fiction Writer – Creative Conversations
- Then And Now & What Could Be: Housing Rights & Solidarity CCA