New Tenements – Architecture and the Return to the Inner City, The Lighthouse
First of our series of talks on architecture and design in 2018. There will be a short drinks reception from 6pm, with the discussion beginning shortly after.
18 January, 2018 6 – 8 p.m.
In the last decades city centres have profoundly changed. Not only in Glasgow, but all over Europe inner-city regeneration has replaced suburbanization as the new policy paradigm, and many once decaying inner cities are now renovated and populated by the new middle classes.
The event will look at the “return to the inner city” in Europe from three different perspectives. Jonathan Charley (University of Strathclyde) and Chris Leslie (independent photographer) will look at Moscow, where a huge regeneration programme has just started that aims at demolition and rebuilding of Khrushchev-era buildings. Rebecca Madgin (University of Glasgow) will analyse the re-purposing of historic industrial buildings in British city centres. Florian Urban (Glasgow School of Art) will present “new tenements” – dense residences in the inner city – as the architecture of the “return to the inner city” all over Europe.
The evening will close with the release of Florian Urban’s book “The New Tenement – Residences in the Inner City Since 1970” (Routledge, 2018).
This talk is free but ticketed. Donations are welcome on the evening.
The Lighthouse 11 Mitchell Lane, G1 3NU
Free Event Register Online
This section: Books, Talks, Poetry and Creative Writing Events
Filed under: Books, Talks, Poetry and Creative Writing Events
- Poetry Launch Party – Jim Ferguson and Kirsty Taylor
- Lin Anderson on Bloody Scotland 2021
- Bernard Maclaverty Creative Conversations
- Creative Conversations, University of Glasgow
- Autumn Creative Writing Courses – Dr Tawnya Selene Renelle
- Magi Gibson – Audacious Women Festival
- Walking and Writing in the Botanics with Gerry Loose
- Walking and Writing with Lesley O’Brien, Glasgow Green
- Balloch Open Mic returns to Balloch House Hotel
- Poets’ Time, Book Launch
- Book Festival – Govanhill International Festival 2021
- ‘There’s a Problem with Dad’ by Carlos Alba
- The Girl, The Crow, The Writer And The Fighter – Debut Novel by George Paterson
- Govanhill International Festival 2021
- Scribblers Union Digital Gig Series
- Bloody Scotland – Crime Debut of the Year 2021
- Brian Whittingham – Writing Walks in Kelvingrove
- Three Lockdown Poets at Avant Garde
- Independent Bookshop Week 2021
- Tell it slant, Glasgow: Book Launch: A Bird Is Not A Stone.