Micaela Maftei and Laura Tansley Collaborative Writing Workshops
The Collaboration Process and Inspiration
Micaela Maftei and Laura Tansley have been working and writing together since meeting as PhD students at the University of Glasgow. Their essays and short fiction have been published in a variety of places including Gutter Magazine, Kenyon Review Online, and Short Fiction in Theory and Practice. Together they co-edited the collection Writing Creative Non-Fiction: Determining the Form (Gylphi, 2015). They live in Victoria BC and Glasgow respectively.
The Reach of a Root
In this collection of short stories, Canada-based Micaela Maftei and UK-based Laura Tansley collaborate transatlantically to craft a single, blended voice; both in form and content, their stories consider place, displacement and the spaces where the two overlap. With insight and humour the authors map the ongoing search for selfhood across various stages and settings of women’s lives, magnifying the mundane to remind us that life is made up of the tiny details we often overlook. The Reach of a Root speaks to life’s anxieties, triumphs and trials, fusing Colin Barrett’s exploration of place and identity, the dark humour of Amy Hempel and the physicality of Joyce Carol Oates.
“An intriguing and barbed collection, tuned to the prickly undercurrents and cool, disquieting notes of urban life.” – Laura Waddell
Glasgow Women’s Library 1 June, 2019 Details and Booking
Golden Hare Books Edinburgh 5th June, 2019 Details and Booking
University of Glasgow (students only) 6 June, 2019 3 p.m.- Contact: E.K. Reeder.
Waterstones Byres Road 6 June 2019, 7.30 p.m.
351-355 Byres Road, Glasgow, G12 8AU . (Further details)
(See further details of workshops at Vagabond Voices)
Golden Hare Books, Edinburgh (winner Independent Bookshop of the Year 2019) and Vagabond Voices present the two authors of new short story collection The Reach of a Root. This fascinating collection blends two strong voices together into a distinctive whole, and explores the lives, bodies and minds of women. We’re joined by authors Micaela Maftei and Laura Tansley to discuss their collaboration process and inspiration in the bookshop
in conversation with Heather Parry
Power stances in loo cubicles; heartfelt letters from a stranger’s parents; clairvoyant coffee shop customers; awkward post-threesome encounters…
Golden Hare Books, 68 Saint Stephen Street, Edinburgh EH3 5AQ
- Tell it slant, Glasgow: Book Launch: A Bird Is Not A Stone.
- Red Squirrel Press – Launch of Three Publications
- #StreamMyStory Children’s Online Events Summer 2021
- Women’s Library – In Conversation with Paria Goodarzi
- Bloody Scotland 2021 McIlvanney Prize Long List Announced
- The Owner of the Sea – Richard Price readings and discussion
- Bernard MacLaverty: Glasgow Writer
- Graeme Macrae Burnet – Glasgow Writer
- Glasgow Writers: Theresa Talbot
- Hillhead Summer Arts Academy 2021
- Scottish Books Long Weekend
- Meet the Poet: Marcus Slease & Colin Herd
- Balloch Open Mic on Zoom
- Creative Conversations: David Robertson
- Aye Write on Demand 2021
- Before Now – Memoir of a Toerag by Moira McPartlin
- Aye Write 2021 – Celebrating 40 Years of Lanark
- Aye Write A Renewable Energy Revolution
- Aye Write 2021 – How To Stop Fascism, Paul Mason
- Aye Write 2021 – Rodge Glass introduces Fiction Debuts