Mary Irvine: Scottish Writers Centre Comes Home
A full house, good poetry and prose speakers, an interesting discussion (with a revelation) and a very entertaining and talented singer. All in one evening and all for free!
The event was a celebration of the Mexican Day of the Dead organised by Dove Tales in which the courage of conscientious objectors was honoured in words and music. The event also celebrated the return of the SWC to its Centre for Contemporary Arts (CCA) home, having been exiled to the Project Café for several months following the devastating Glasgow Arts’ fire.
Charlie Gracie welcomed everyone and read the poem ‘Recall’ by Brian Johnstone. Harrison Hickman began the session with a declaration explaining the rationale behind conscientious objection. A.C. Clarke and Jean Rafferty followed with poems on the evening’s theme.
Next up were Robin-Lloyd Jones and Larry Butler. Their conversation centred on Larry’s time as a conscientious objector focussing on the impact it had on his life and family. The revelation mentioned above is that Robin is now embarking on the biography of Larry. Judging from what we heard that is one biography not to miss.
Pauline Bradley ended this part of the evening with songs on the theme and also Eric Bogle’s ‘And the band Played Waltzing Mathilda’ which has never failed to send a shiver down my spine. I found myself mouthing the words along with her singing, thinking of the words that adorn so many war memorials – Our Glorious Dead. There was/is nothing glorious about anyone who dies in/because of conflict.
The second half comprised various poets and prose writers – an eclectic mix – in an Open Mic session. Over two hours of good writing… Thank you to everyone.
This section: Books, Talks, Poetry Events, Mary Irvine: Writer and Philhellene
- Poetry Launches CCA – Stephen Watt, Derek Parkes and Mandy Haggith
- Tannahill Arts Festival Paisley
- The Glasgow Guild Talks 2019
- Meet the Author, Angela Robb, Fruin Farm
- Joint Book Launch: Tracy Patrick and Fiona Lindsay
- Vincent Price: Master of Menace, Lover of Life + The Abominable Dr Phibes GFT
- Book Launch: The Siren Awakes by Linda Jackson
- Margaret Atwood – Live in Cinemas
- Script to Stage Renfrewshire
- Memorial Evening for Janet Paisley CCA
- Bloody Scotland 2019
- Alexandria Writers Open Mic
- Theresa Talbot Creative Writing Workshop
- Blessed Assurance by Stewart Ennis Book Launch
- Creative Conversations Inaugural Event Autumn 2019
- The Big Meeting GFT
- The Muse at Avant Garde September 9th, 2019
- Place and Peace: three Scottish PEN writers at Scottish Writers Centre
- Postbox Launch of Issue 2
- Scottish Writers Showcase University of Glasgow 2019