Mary Irvine: A Convivial Night at ‘The Drake’
Every couple of months my family meet up in Glasgow to share an evening meal. My oldest grandson lives and works in Glasgow, my youngest in Glenboig, my son and daughter-in-law live in Balloch so it’s difficult finding a night when all can be present. In consequence such meetings are very precious. You may be thinking ‘Fine. So what?’ Ah, having agreed a night we then have to decide on a venue that suits everyone.
We need somewhere that:
a) caters for a gluten-free diet
b) caters for plainly cooked chicken, chips and baked beans
c) caters for the more discerning palette and
d) is dog friendly.
This time judicious internet searching came up with ‘The Drake’*
It was a Monday night so we didn’t expect the place to be mobbed but we did book. The table was in the window area and was large enough to move dishes around- always a bonus! The menu was VERY extensive – check it out – and met all the requirements of the awkward squad. The chicken ‘n’ chips man even went for the soup followed by the fish and chips and enjoyed both.
I had the chicken, cranberry & root vegetable terrine to start, slavering delicious, and super food salad – minus the bulgur wheat (Yes, I’m the boring one! And it’s NOT a fad – it’s for health reasons!) IT was a huge plateful. In fact all the portions were so generous none of us could manage a pudding. The polite word ‘stuffed’ comes to mind.
The young man responsible for the serving was efficient and friendly without being effusive, attentive but not obsequious.
So, to price. Four starters, five mains, two rounds of drinks, one liquor coffee and one espresso, all for £109. Fantastic value and I have no hesitation in recommending this venue. We’d certainly go there again. Think next time I’ll skip the starter so I have room for a pud. Oh, and there was no problem finding places nearby to park – another bonus…
Mary Irvine, 9 August, 2016
The Drake Bar,
1 Lynedoch St, Kelvingrove,
Glasgow G3 6EF
Phone: 0141 332 7363
This section: Mary Irvine: Writer and Philhellene
Filed under: Mary Irvine: Writer and Philhellene
- Mary Irvine’s Blog: Black History Month
- Mary Irvine’s Blog:Connect
- Mary Irvine’s Blog: EUROS
- Mary Irvine’s Blog: Catharsis
- Mary Irvine’s Blog: The Eve of Destruction – again?
- Mary Irvine’s Blog: A Year to Remember – or forget..
- Mary Irvine’s Blog: Guy Fawkes – what if he had succeeded?
- Mary Irvine’s Blog: Something for Hallowe’en
- Mary Irvine’s Blog: Emmett Till – How Far Have We Come…
- Mary Irvine: What Did You Do In Lockdown 2020?
- Mary Irvine’s Blog: ‘Troy’ Exhibition at the British Museum
- Mary Irvine’s blog: Tutankhamun – Treasures of the Golden Pharaoh
- Mary Irvine: Closer than we thought
- Mary Irvine: Revived Controversy
- Mary Irvine blogging about a break
- An Unwanted Gift by Mary Irvine
- Mary Irvine’s Blog: Christmas Customs and Festivals
- Mary Irvine’s blog: West Dunbartonshire Book Week November 2019
- Mary Irvine: Book Week Scotland 2020 – Events in West Dunbartonshire
- An Evening with Mary Irvine – ‘My Greek Love Affair’