Live at the Star, Tuesdays 28 July – 25 August, 2015
28th July, 2015 £8
Rallion are a three piece contemporary folk group, hailing from Glasgow and Perthshire. They bring a wide range of musical influences together to create their powerful persuasive music. Their unique sound is based around the fiddle powerhouse of Fiona Cuthill, the distinctive voice of Marieke McBean and the virtuoso guitar and bouzouki playing of Stevie Lawrence.
Siobhan Miller with Aaron Jones
4th August £10
Siobhan Miller is one of the foremost singers in Scotland. Already a two time winner of the ‘Scots Singer of the Year’ award and a recipient of a ‘BBC Young Folk Award’ with Orkney’s Jeana Leslie. Siobhan has collaborated with many of Scotland’s top musicians and most recently joined ‘Salt House’ who released their debut album ‘Lay your Dark Low’ to great acclaim. ‘Flight of Time’ her debut solo album was made in collaboration with reputed singer-songwriter James Grant, and marks an exciting new chapter in her career showcasing her song-writing talent. With Aaron Jones on bouzouki, guitar, and vocals.
11th August £9
REAL TIME are a Scottish Borders based band formed in 2002 by Kenny Speirs (guitar/vocals) and Tom Roseburgh (keyboards). With Eilidh Grant www.eilidhgrant.com (vocals/bodhran) and Danny Hart(fiddle). Their repertoire includes not only many songs and tunes from both sides of the border but also contemporary and self-penned material, and to date they have released several albums to wide critical acclaim.
Greg Russell & Ciaran Algar
18th August, 2015 £9
With two albums and successful tours behind them, Greg & Ciaran are acknowledged as one of the most talented folk duos in the country. Both Greg and Cia are from musical families and were regulars at folk festivals, clubs and sessions from an early age. Cia in fact won the under-12 section of the All-Ireland fiddle championships at the age of 11. They’re both talented multi-instrumentalists with Greg playing guitar, bouzouki and English concertina, as well as singing, while Cia (who also sings) plays fiddle, guitar and bouzouki. Their repertoire comes from the folk tradition, contemporary writing and themselves; a range of material which combined with their vocal and instrumental prowess continues to belie their youth.
Duncan McCrone Band
25th August £9
Duncan McCrone is a Glasgow-born singer-songwriter with over thirty-five years experience of live performance both solo and with a variety of traditional bands. Duncan performs original songs, traditional ballads and covers. His songs are love songs to life, to places, to the people and things that really matter.
This section: Gig Guide plus Club Events, Star Folk Club
- Kirsteen Harvey Live, Cottiers
- Sounds in the Suburbs presents Leventime: A Celebration of Jackie Leven
- Glasgow Hospitals Christmas Concert 2019 Royal Concert Hall
- Irish fiddle player Michael Gorman Cd launch and Concert to celebrate his Glasgow connection
- Martin Stephenson & The Daintees OranMor
- Cottiers has Talent this Christmas
- A Very Buble Christmas at Cottiers
- Cottiers – Bar, Restaurant, Theatre, Glasgow West End
- SongWriters Uncovered Series 2019
- Fairytale of Glasgow
- Birds of Chicago The Doublet Glasgow
- Scottish Writers’ Centre From bytes to bestseller with Jonathan Whitelaw
- Guttersnipe at the Old Hairdressers
- One Night at The Disco, Riverside Museum
- The Long Ryders at OranMor
- Maria Doyle Kennedy, Cottiers
- Hang Massive at OranMor, Glasgow
- Thank Funk It’s Friday, South
- SAFR Takeover/The Primevals/The Reverse Cowgirls
- Nick Harper with Carol Laula and Port Erin CCA