Ghost Signs of Glasgow, Glasgow City Heritage Trust
Saturday 9th November | 11am | Free, but booking essential
Meeting point: George Square, in front of the Robert Burns Statue
Ghost signs are the fading remains of old painted signs on buildings, which offer an invaluable window into the past.With the help of our great volunteers we have created engaging and informative walks around the city to highlight and learn more about the buildings and old signs.
Join GCHT for a walk around the city centre with experienced and knowledgeable guides point out ghost signs and old shopfronts, explaining the history of the business and building behind the sign, with a focus on its architecture and design. The guides will also be showing archive images of the area and buildings we explore. This tour is a great chance to look at the city with different eyes and learn more about often overlooked architecture.
Talk – Ghost Signs of Glasgow
20 November, 2019, 6 – 8 p.m.
Ghost signs, the fading remains of old painted signs on buildings, together with old shopfronts, provide an invaluable insight into Glasgow’s architectural, social and cultural history.
Since March our Ghost Signs of Glasgow project has been revealing, researching and documenting ghost signs in Glasgow. This talk will present what’s been found so far, and explore some of the stories behind these hidden remnants of the city’s past.
Tickets: £6/Free for GCHT Friends . Book online
Glasgow City Heritage Trust, 54 Bell Street, G1 1LQ
This section: Books, Talks, Poetry and Creative Writing Events, Walks in Glasgow
- Poetry Launch Party – Jim Ferguson and Kirsty Taylor
- Lin Anderson on Bloody Scotland 2021
- Bernard Maclaverty Creative Conversations
- Creative Conversations, University of Glasgow
- Autumn Creative Writing Courses – Dr Tawnya Selene Renelle
- Magi Gibson – Audacious Women Festival
- Walking and Writing in the Botanics with Gerry Loose
- Walking and Writing with Lesley O’Brien, Glasgow Green
- Balloch Open Mic returns to Balloch House Hotel
- Poets’ Time, Book Launch
- Book Festival – Govanhill International Festival 2021
- ‘There’s a Problem with Dad’ by Carlos Alba
- The Girl, The Crow, The Writer And The Fighter – Debut Novel by George Paterson
- Govanhill International Festival 2021
- Scribblers Union Digital Gig Series
- Bloody Scotland – Crime Debut of the Year 2021
- Brian Whittingham – Writing Walks in Kelvingrove
- Three Lockdown Poets at Avant Garde
- Independent Bookshop Week 2021
- Tell it slant, Glasgow: Book Launch: A Bird Is Not A Stone.