Ghost Signs of Glasgow, Glasgow City Heritage Trust
Saturday 9th November | 11am | Free, but booking essential
Meeting point: George Square, in front of the Robert Burns Statue
Ghost signs are the fading remains of old painted signs on buildings, which offer an invaluable window into the past.With the help of our great volunteers we have created engaging and informative walks around the city to highlight and learn more about the buildings and old signs.
Join GCHT for a walk around the city centre with experienced and knowledgeable guides point out ghost signs and old shopfronts, explaining the history of the business and building behind the sign, with a focus on its architecture and design. The guides will also be showing archive images of the area and buildings we explore. This tour is a great chance to look at the city with different eyes and learn more about often overlooked architecture.
Talk – Ghost Signs of Glasgow
20 November, 2019, 6 – 8 p.m.
Ghost signs, the fading remains of old painted signs on buildings, together with old shopfronts, provide an invaluable insight into Glasgow’s architectural, social and cultural history.
Since March our Ghost Signs of Glasgow project has been revealing, researching and documenting ghost signs in Glasgow. This talk will present what’s been found so far, and explore some of the stories behind these hidden remnants of the city’s past.
Tickets: £6/Free for GCHT Friends . Book online
Glasgow City Heritage Trust, 54 Bell Street, G1 1LQ
This section: Books, Talks, Poetry Events, Walks in Glasgow
- Book Week Scotland 2019: Kerry Hudson
- The Big Talk, Men and Mental Health at The Ice Box
- Book launch: The Light Acknowledgers by Gerry Cambridge
- Telling Invents Told Lis Rhodes
- Thomas A Clark: Poet Artist Curator at Creative Converstions
- Charlie Gracie, Donal McLaughlin and Finola Scott CCA
- Mary Irvine: Book Week Scotland 2029 – Events in West Dunbartonshire
- Nina Allan Speculative Fiction Writer – Creative Conversations
- Then And Now & What Could Be: Housing Rights & Solidarity CCA
- Libre / To the Four Winds Alliance Francaise Glasgow
- The Siren Awakes Book Launch – Linda Jackson review by Pat Byrne
- Publishing Scotland: Book Week Scotland 2019
- Book Week Scotland 2019
- Write Lines with In Motion Theatre. Book Week Scotland 2019
- Ghost Signs of Glasgow, Glasgow City Heritage Trust
- Words and Music: The Sound of Young Scotland
- Express Yourself Halloween Party 2019 Project Cafe
- Book Launch: The Siren Awakes by Linda Jackson
- Scottish Writers’ Centre Dove Tales: Dia de los Muertos
- Night of Scripts, Music and Song