Ghost Signs of Glasgow, Glasgow City Heritage Trust
Saturday 9th November | 11am | Free, but booking essential
Meeting point: George Square, in front of the Robert Burns Statue
Ghost signs are the fading remains of old painted signs on buildings, which offer an invaluable window into the past.With the help of our great volunteers we have created engaging and informative walks around the city to highlight and learn more about the buildings and old signs.
Join GCHT for a walk around the city centre with experienced and knowledgeable guides point out ghost signs and old shopfronts, explaining the history of the business and building behind the sign, with a focus on its architecture and design. The guides will also be showing archive images of the area and buildings we explore. This tour is a great chance to look at the city with different eyes and learn more about often overlooked architecture.
Talk – Ghost Signs of Glasgow
20 November, 2019, 6 – 8 p.m.
Ghost signs, the fading remains of old painted signs on buildings, together with old shopfronts, provide an invaluable insight into Glasgow’s architectural, social and cultural history.
Since March our Ghost Signs of Glasgow project has been revealing, researching and documenting ghost signs in Glasgow. This talk will present what’s been found so far, and explore some of the stories behind these hidden remnants of the city’s past.
Tickets: £6/Free for GCHT Friends . Book online
Glasgow City Heritage Trust, 54 Bell Street, G1 1LQ
This section: Books, Talks, Poetry Events, Walks in Glasgow
- Different from Others with Illustrated Talk, GFT
- Creative Conversation: Kate Charlesworth, Illustrator and Writer
- Helen McClory: Short Story Writer and Novelist at Creative Conversations
- Sonnet Youth #31 Old Hairdressers
- Launch of Glasgow Historical City
- The Siren Awakes by Linda Jackson, West End Launch
- Petticoats and Pinnacles, NLS Kelvinhall
- Dove Tales: Home Front Celtic Connections 2020
- Jolly Beggars Banquet Cheeky Besom Productions
- Switch Off – Centre for Confidence and Wellbeing
- Creative Conversations, Monday Lunchtimes, University of Glasgow Chapel
- Benny Lynch Heritage Trail, Calton Bar
- Scottish Writers’ Centre Periodical Publishing with Gerry Cambridge, Joy Hendry & Henry Bell
- Val McDermid Crime Writer – Creative Conversations
- Paisley Book Festival 2020
- Glasgow Libraries Christmas Reading Challenge for Kids
- Books at the Botanics, Christmas 2019
- Are We In A Book – book launch The Dram
- I Am A Rohinga Creative Conversations
- Karen Campbell: Novelist at Creative Conversations