Creative Conversations: Robert Alan Jamieson – Shetlandic Poet and Translator
Monday 14 October 2019, 1 p.m. – 2 p.m.
Free & Open to the Public
University Chapel, West Quadrangle, Main Building Gilmorehill Campus, University of Glasgow, Glasgow G12 8QQ
Alan Jamieson was born in 1958 in the crofting community of Sandness on Shetland. After publishing two novels and a collection of poetry, ‘Shoormal’, during the 1980s, he studied English Literature at the University of Edinburgh as a mature student, before taking up the William Soutar Fellowship in Perth (1993-96). He was Creative Writing Fellow at the Universities of Glasgow and Strathclyde, between 1998 and 2001. Since the 1990s Jamieson has been active in teaching creative writing at Edinburgh University, where he is now a Senior Lecturer. He co-edited Edinburgh Review from 1993 until 1998, and has published five novels.
Jamieson’s interest in the translation of poetry, fostered by his involvement with the organisation Literature Across Frontiers, has resulted in work on contemporary European poetry, and his own poetry has in turn been translated into a dozen European languages. His most recent publication collects his own poems with his translations into Shetlandic from other marginalised European languages. (‘A Hundir Inboos Till a Diein Lied: a poetic voyage through the (linguistic) margins of Europe’, published by Luath in 2017.)
As part of the on-going Creative Conversation speaker series, poet and translator Robert Alan Jamieson comes to campus to chat about his writing. Bring your lunch and burning questions!
Sponsored by the Ferguson Bequest and programmed by Creative Writing at University of Glasgow
This section: Books, Talks, Poetry Events
Filed under: Books, Talks, Poetry Events
- Fessen/Reared New Poetry Collection by Lesley Benzie, Book Launch
- Poetry Slam – Open to All – The Tron
- Dardishi Festival at CCA
- The IASSIDD Exhibition ProjectAbility
- International Women’s Day – #EachforEqual: What Difference Does a Decade Make?
- Roots Festival – An Evening with Wullie, George and Friends
- Poor Wurld by Jim Ferguson – Book Launch Party
- Evening of Stories and Songs with Kirstin Innes and Outi Smith
- Aye Write 2020: Memoirs and Confessions – Justified Sinners Speakeasy
- Books at the Botanics
- Creative Conversations: Niall O’Gallagher
- It’s Time To Talk About Mental Health – Part Two
- Aye Write:Claudia Hammond, The Art of Rest
- Aye Write: Andrew Greig and Chris Agee
- Paisley Book Festival: Jenny’s Well Press presents: Writers and Rebellion
- Aye Write: Stewart Ennis and Okechuwu Nzelu
- Rootsy Rammy
- The Muse at the Playhouse with Linda Jaxson
- More Than Words – Poetry Night with Imogen Stirling
- Lin Anderson at Weegie Wednesday