Creative Conversations: Jemma Neville
Creative Conversations College of Arts – Zoom Event
Monday 28 September 2020, 1 p.m. – 2 p.m.
Jemma Neville is a writer with a background in human rights law. She is Director of the national development agency for community-led arts, Voluntary Arts Scotland. She was the inaugural Community Fellow at the Institute of Advanced Studies in Humanities, University of Edinburgh, and has been shortlisted for the Guardian International Development Journalism Award.
Her debut book Constitution Street: Finding hope in an age of anxiety (404 Ink, 2019) considers what real-life stories from neighbours of one street in Leith reveal about today’s constitutional crisis in an age of anxiety. Part memoir, part social history, part exploration of a new constitution for the day we live in, Neville’s debut encourages a reclamation of human rights practice as something that belongs to each of us, too important to be left to politicians and lawyers.
Jemma gets to know the people and stories that have lived on her street for decades, showcasing real life accounts of perseverance, courage and vulnerability, and that extraordinary stories are behind each door. Constitution Street takes a view on the global issue of human rights through the lens of one street and its inhabitants.
This is a zoom event. The link to the meeting will be sent to you prior to the event once you book on Eventbrite.
Creative Conversations is programmed by the University of Glasgow Creative Writing Programme and funded by the Ferguson Bequest. Professor Thomas Ferguson (1900-1977), Henry Mechan Chair of Public Health (1944-64), bequeathed his estate to the University, with the instruction that the money should be used to foster the social side of University life.
- Project-Ability, Virtual Exhibition
- Havana Glasgow Film Festival 2020
- Virtual Glasgow Mela 2020
- Sounds in the Suburbs 5th Refuweegee Fundraiser
- Glasgow Museum’s Resource Centre: Glasgow’ Smallest Doors
- Raman Mondair – Choreographies of Dance
- Freddy Anderson – collected poems and prose book release
- The Glasgow Diet – Discussion Event
- Tidelines Book Festival 2020
- You’re Only Young Twice – Digital Doors Open Day 2020
- To Meat or Not to Meat – Climate Action
- Stories from the Briggait – Glasgow Doors Open Day
- Hip Hop to Opera via Negro Spirituals
- Online Quiz Night with Duglus T Stewart
- Fury by David Morley – Carcanet Press Online Book Launch
- The History of Scottish Pen – Online
- Scenes for Survival – Danni the Champion NTS
- Creative Conversations: Jemma Neville
- Digital Doors Open Day Glasgow 2020
- Creative Conversations: Nicholson Baker