Clyde Steamer Memories Part 1 DVD Video History Scotland
Henry Bell and his famous ship The Comet, the first ship to successfully harness steam power for navigation, ushered in the age of steam navigation – not only to the River Clyde but across the world. Nowhere was the pace of change as fast as along the banks of the River Clyde. The Clyde steamer fleet, combined with steam railway connections, brought remote islands, lochs and hamlets around the River Clyde within reach of the tourists and became a vital lifeline for local people.
The DVD Clyde Steamer Memories Part 1 includes:
Rare scenes of Helensburgh from the pier, 1877 PS
Hero and Windsor Castle. 1878
Glasgow Fair Holidays with shots of Ben More, Carrick Castle and Marquis of Lorne, 1885
Campbell’s Ben More, Eagle and Iona, 1895 Ben More, Daniel Adamson and Iona.
By 1910 major resorts had been established, including Dunoon, Rothesay, on the beautiful Island of Bute, and Millport on the Island of Cumbrae. The DVD shows wonderful footage of Glasgow and South Western’s Paddle Steamer Juno tied up along the pier at Rothesay with holiday crowds thronging the pier and prom. It also features the Caledonian Rail Terminus, Central Station Glasgow that connected fast steam trains to the Clyde coast. All aboard in 1925 for a sail doon the watter from Bridge Wharf Glasgow. A proud King Edward fully loaded glides downriver complete with a band on board, Queen Empress, Glen Sannox and Kylemore built in 1897. The Duchess of Argyll arriving in Rothesay Bay amidst the holiday crowds. The T.S. Glen Sannox, P.S. Juno. As the P.S. Caledonia leaves Dunoon, we view Burns Highland Mary on Castle Hill. Mercury the sister ship to the Caledonia, The Duchess of Fife being berthed in Rothesay Bay and the Duchess of Hamilton arriving at Rothesay and departing for Dunoon 1936.
The Queen Empress and unique shots of the P.S. Iona. Helensburgh 1936 with rare scenes of the Lucy Ashton departing for Gourock and the P.S. Waverley in new colours. 1939 the Clyde fleet is called into war service which results in the loss of the Mercury, Juno, Kylemore and the P.S. Waverley.
By 1946 Glasgow Central Station sees the start of the summer season as passengers board the trains for the coast. The Talisman, Jeanie Deans and Lucy Ashton, the brand new P.S. Waverley, LMS TS King Edward, Caledonia, Marchioness of Lorne, P.S. Jupiter, Loch Fyne, St Columba, Lochnevis, T.S. King George V all back or still in service after the war. 1948 nationalisation sees a regrouping of the Clyde fleet as we sail down river aboard the new Waverley amidst strangely quiet clyde shipyards. Rare colour footage in 1948 aboard the new Waverley as she departs from Gourock arriving at Dunoon passing The Duchess of Montrose, sailing for Strone point, Blairmore, Loch Goilhead and Loch Long, passing The Jeanie Deans berthed at Arrochar.
Whether you are an enthusiast in maritime history, shipping or history or simply wish to experience or recall this memorable and nostalgic period in our rich history and culture then you will find something here to enjoy. Running Time 55 mins
Price: £15.99 Buy online
Mon – Fri: 9AM – 5PM
Sat: 10AM – 5PM
This section: Best In The West, Books, Talks, Poetry and Creative Writing Events, Shopping, Travel
- Scottish Writers Showcase 2 Creative Conversations
- Scottish Writers Creative Conversation Showcase
- Researching Scotland’s Mountain Women: National Library of Scotland
- Sonnet Youth Social Club #2
- Book Launch: New Shoots Old Roots (2)
- SEE YOU IN 10 YEARS WRITING COMPETITION for Teenagers
- Glasgow Walk: Maryhill, The Venice of the North by Ian R. Mitchell
- “Monsters, Process and Mayhem” T.L. Huchu in conversation with Chikodili Emelumadu
- Payback Claire MacLeary
- Murder at the Mela by Leela Soma
- Bloody Scotland 2020 – Debut Shortlist and McIlvanney Prize Longlist
- Sonnet Youth Social Club
- Anna (Young Adults Book) by Laura Guthrie
- Jasmine – Reopening After Lockdown
- Great Styles from Around the Globe at Jasmine Boutique – Gallery
- A Northern Extravaganza with Shetlandic Poets Christie Williamson and Roseann Watt
- Jasmine Boutique – Stay at Home Service
- Creative Pollination: Exploration and Creative Writing Woodlands Community
- ‘Doors tae Naewye’ poetry by Christie Williamson
- Blessed Assurance by Stewart Ennis