Chris Bambery – Scotland’s Past, Scotland’s Future 17 July, CCA
Chris Bambery – Scotland’s Past, Scotland’s Future
17 July, 2014, 6.30 p.m.
After last month’s launch of his ground-breaking book A People’s History of Scotland, Chris Bambery returns to add historical context to contemporary debates around the independence referendum, delving into the real and oft-forgotten history of Scotland.
Bambery is a writer, broadcaster, TV producer and founding member of the International Socialist Group in Scotland. For many years he was the Secretary of the British Socialist Workers Party. He is the author of Scotland: Class and Nation (1999), A Rebel’s Guide to Gramsci (2006) and The Second World War: A Marxist History (2013).
His most recent book, A People’s History of Scotland, is a corrective to the usual history of kings and queens, victorious battles and bloody defeats. Rather it tells the story that matters today—the story of freedom fighters, suffragettes, the workers of Red Clydesdale who fought for their rights and the contemporary struggle for independence. It looks at the struggles for nationhood as well as for a socialist future, while also charting the lives of Scots who changed the world: from the real Macbeth to the father of modern capitalism, Adam Smith, as well as campaigner Mary Brooksbank. This is a passionate cry for more than just independence but also for a nation that has deep socialist roots.
A People’s History of Scotland will be available at a special discount price.
350 Sauchiehall Street, Glasgow G2 3JD
This section: Books, Talks, Poetry Events
Filed under: Books, Talks, Poetry Events
- Express Yourself Halloween Party 2019 Project Cafe
- Mary Miller, Author, on Jane Haining – a life of love and courage
- An Evening with Mary Irvine – ‘My Greek Love Affair’
- Creative Conversations: Abir Mukherjee – Crime Novelist
- Penetrate: Translate Reading Group: Five Measures of Expatriation by Vahni Capildeo CCA
- Book Launch: The Siren Awakes by Linda Jackson
- Woodlands Community Gardens, Storytelling Circle ‘Tell A Story’ Workshop
- Scottish Writers’ Centre Dove Tales: Dia de los Muertos
- Irene Lebeter, Meet the Author, Fruin Fam
- ‘A Place for the Work and the Human Being’ Kelvin Hall
- From Lens to Pen, Finnieston
- Creative Conversations: Robert Alan Jamieson – Shetlandic Poet and Translator
- Sloot – it’s Oot!!! – Book Launch with Ian Macpherson
- Glasgow’s Welcome University of Glasgow
- Bearing Witness: the state of journalism and press freedom across the globe
- James McCune Smith Memorial Lecture Black History Month 2019 University of Glasgow
- Black Abolitionists in Scotland, Black History Month 2019
- PURGATORY Dante’s Divine Trilogy Part Two by Alasdair Gray
- Creative Conversations Sara Sheridan
- Professor J. Edward Chamberlin National Poetry Day University of Glasgow