Ceol’s Craic Awopbopaloobop CCA Tue 23 September 2014
Tue 23 September 2014
6.30pm, Free, Cinema
Book online / 0141 352 4900
In the run up to our Americana event on Saturday night, celebrating the connections betw Gaelic song and Blues, Country and Rock ‘n’ Roll, here at Ceòl`s Craic we’d like to invite you to join us as we revisit Glasgow’s early Rock ‘n’ Roll years.
Awopbopaloobop looks at the fantastic tours that came to Glasgow between 1957 and 1964. Music and dancing, fashion and hairstyles, long-gone venues. Who got arrested for jiving in Renfield St? Which singer sorted out the Empire audience? Who always carried a gun?
Musicologist and social historian Eddie Cavin presents a fascinating insight into a golden age when American Rock ’n Roll royalty trod the boards of Glasgow’s music and dance halls. Seldom seen images of Eddie Cochran, Gene Vincent, Jerry Lee Lewis and a host of others evoke an almost forgotten chapter of Scotland’s musical history.
All this and more — be there or be square — blue suede shoes optional!
Centre for Contemporary Arts
350 Sauchiehall Street
Glasgow G2 3JD
This section: Books, Talks, Poetry Events
Filed under: Books, Talks, Poetry Events
- Thomas A Clark: Poet Artist Curator at Creative Converstions
- Charlie Gracie, Donal McLaughlin and Finola Scott CCA
- Mary Irvine: Book Week Scotland 2029 – Events in West Dunbartonshire
- Nina Allan Speculative Fiction Writer – Creative Conversations
- Then And Now & What Could Be: Housing Rights & Solidarity CCA
- Libre / To the Four Winds Alliance Francaise Glasgow
- The Siren Awakes Book Launch – Linda Jackson review by Pat Byrne
- Publishing Scotland: Book Week Scotland 2019
- Book Week Scotland 2019
- Write Lines with In Motion Theatre. Book Week Scotland 2019
- Ghost Signs of Glasgow, Glasgow City Heritage Trust
- Words and Music: The Sound of Young Scotland
- Express Yourself Halloween Party 2019 Project Cafe
- Book Launch: The Siren Awakes by Linda Jackson
- Scottish Writers’ Centre Dove Tales: Dia de los Muertos
- Night of Scripts, Music and Song
- Penetrate: Translate Reading Group: Five Measures of Expatriation by Vahni Capildeo CCA
- Adura Onashile: Artist and Playwright, Creative Conversations
- Short Story Collection with Adam McNelis, Glasgow Literary Lounge
- Webinair: How to talk to children about Climate Change