Ceol’s Craic Awopbopaloobop CCA Tue 23 September 2014
Tue 23 September 2014
6.30pm, Free, Cinema
Book online / 0141 352 4900
In the run up to our Americana event on Saturday night, celebrating the connections betw Gaelic song and Blues, Country and Rock ‘n’ Roll, here at Ceòl`s Craic we’d like to invite you to join us as we revisit Glasgow’s early Rock ‘n’ Roll years.
Awopbopaloobop looks at the fantastic tours that came to Glasgow between 1957 and 1964. Music and dancing, fashion and hairstyles, long-gone venues. Who got arrested for jiving in Renfield St? Which singer sorted out the Empire audience? Who always carried a gun?
Musicologist and social historian Eddie Cavin presents a fascinating insight into a golden age when American Rock ’n Roll royalty trod the boards of Glasgow’s music and dance halls. Seldom seen images of Eddie Cochran, Gene Vincent, Jerry Lee Lewis and a host of others evoke an almost forgotten chapter of Scotland’s musical history.
All this and more — be there or be square — blue suede shoes optional!
Centre for Contemporary Arts
350 Sauchiehall Street
Glasgow G2 3JD
This section: Books, Talks, Poetry Events
Filed under: Books, Talks, Poetry Events
- The Poets’ Time – weekly meetings with Linda Jackson on Zoom
- Creative Conversations: Iain Maloney, Novelist and Poet – Zoom Event
- Stay at Home Literary Fringe Festival
- Sonnet Youth Social Club
- Creative Conversations, Monday Lunchtimes, University of Glasgow Chapel
- Jamaica Kincaid: novelist and writer – Creative Conversations ZOOM EVENT
- Zoom Event – A reading and Q&A with renowned poet Peter Gizzi
- Aye Write – Big Book Weekend Virtual Festival
- From Glasgow to Saturn Issue 44 – read online
- Short Attention Span Theatre during Lockdown
- Creative Conversations Zoom Event Will Harris
- A DAY IN THE LIFE OF A DANCING ANIMAL poem by Brian Whittingham
- Creative Conversations – Dean Atta Virtual Format Monday 20 April, 2020
- Future Stories – Scottish Book Trust
- ‘the lactic acid in the calves of your despair’ poetry collection by Ali Whitelock
- New Collection of Poems: Poor Wurld by Jim Ferguson
- The Clearing: A memoir of art, family and mental health by Samantha Clark
- The Siren Awakes – memoir by Linda Jackson
- Blessed Assurance by Stewart Ennis
- ‘Doors tae Naewye’ poetry by Christie Williamson