Bob Law’s Blog: The Knock: A Small Hill Above Largs
The seaside town of Largs is a popular destination for day trippers, both to the town itself and as a short ferry crossing to the island of Great Cumbrae and its town of Millport.
The Small Green Hills That Surround Largs
What is less well known however is the quality of the small green hills that surround Largs and the spectacular views across the Firth of Clyde from the various summits. Directly above the town of Largs sits the green and lush Castle Hill but as we had already tackled that recently we picked the hill sitting across from it. I think this is called The Knock by locals as it sits above Knock Castle. On the OS Landranger map it has no name but a spot height of 217 metres and you used to climb it on good paths across several fields directly from Largs.
The new route however goes via the minor road up Brisbane Glen then Brisbane Mains Farm to the summit, with a return option available via the other minor road to the west near Home Farm and Knock Castle. A good walk of a few hours duration but harder than it used to be as a section of the Ayrshire Coastal Path seems to be the only viable route up the hill now and that approaches the summit from the north.
It’s still worth doing though especially if you’ve done Castle Hill and you are looking for something extra.
Bob Law, September, 2023
This section: Bob Law: photographer, walker and writer
Filed under: Bob Law: photographer, walker and writer
- Bob Law: Walk and Photography – Greenock and Gourock Circular
- Bob Law’s Blog: The Knock: A Small Hill Above Largs
- Bob Law’s Blog: Photography and Walks – David Livingstone Centre and River Clyde Walk
- Bob Law’s Walks and Photography: Silverburn to Barrhead
- Bob Law’s Blog: Cuningar Loop and The River Clyde Walkway.
- Bob Law’s Blog: Crookston Castle and Pollok – walking and photography
- Bob Law: The Beauty of Renfrewshire
- Bob Law’s Blog: Isle of Bute – walking and cycling
- Bob Law’s Blog: A Cold Snap
- Bob Law’s Blog: An Appreciation of Autumn
- Bob Law’s Blog: Wood Carving Artworks
- Bob Law’s Blog: The Wonders of Arran
- Bob Law’s Blog: Glamaig, Isle of Skye
- A Walk Around Edinburgh Castle
- Bob Law: The Beauty of Holyrood Park in Edinburgh
- The Beauty of Edinburgh in Spring
- Bob Law: The Other Ridge on Arran
- The Changing Face of Glasgow in 2022
- Bob Law’s Blog: Glasgow City Centre at Night
- Bob Law’s Blog: An Unusual Cross Country Ski Day in Glasgow