Balloch Open Mic: Multi-talented Moira McPartlin
(photograph: George Lammie)
A friend recently passed on a book ‘The Incomers’ by Moira McPartlin. I had read it a couple of years ago but am now re-reading it. It reminded me of the time I first met Moira which I reveal below. She was due to headline an Open Mic event but… Hopefully she’ll come along when the event starts once again.
In the ‘good old days’ there used to be an occasional ‘Meet the Author’ gathering at Fruin Farm. One guest author was the wonderful Moira McPartlin. Moira is much more than a writer, although one of note. In a friendly, relaxed atmosphere she shared her interests of running, hill walking, mountaineering, completion of the Munros, her working life and her family life. For all this and much more access Moira’s website. Must mention one more of her interests – music. Moira had acceded to my request and brought along her ‘penny’ whistle – an added bonus for the group.
Mustn’t forget the writing! Moira’s first published novel – The Incomers – mentioned above – tells the story of a West African woman’s arrival in a small town in 1960s Scotland. The reading from this novel led to a discussion on several aspects of people’s perceptions at that time. It was shortlisted for the Saltire Society First Book of the Year Award and was a critical success.
Moira’s latest book (at the time) was the third in her ‘Sun Song’ trilogy. The trilogy is set in a divided world – between the Privileged few and the Native (Celtic) underclass. We were ‘privileged’ to hear the very first public reading from ‘Star of Hope’ which completes the trilogy. The first two were ‘Ways of the Doomed’, Wants of the Silent’.
Since that meeting Moira has been very busy. Check out her website/blog
Mary Irvine, March, 2021
- Kavya Prize – New Writers Prize To Celebrate Scotland’s Ethnically Diverse Communities
- Second International Alasdair Gray Conference
- Balloch Open Mic Blog: A New Kid On The Block
- Calton Ceilidh Open Mic 14 December, 2021
- Balloch Open Mic: News From Our Headliners
- Scottish Writers Christmas Speakeasy 2021
- Balloch Open Mic Blog: Interview with Evelyn Lawrie
- Book launch: Like A Tree Walking by Vahni Capildeo
- Community Ownership – Assets or Liabilities Online Discussion
- Creative Conversations: Apphia Campbell
- Book Launch: Wild Women Of A Certain Age, Magi Gibson
- Poetry and the Climate Crisis: Scotland and India
- The Landing Hub – COP26 Fringe Event
- Balloch Open Mic 6th December, 2021
- Balloch Open Mic Newsletter November 2021
- GWL – Walking Tour with Denise Mina
- Book Week Scotland: Writing Trumpet with Jackie Kay
- Book Week Scotland – Built Upon the Rock SWC
- COP26: A Radical Act of Love, Arborescence
- Calton Ceilidh anthology by Ruby McCann