Balloch Open Mic: Multi-talented Moira McPartlin
(photograph: George Lammie)
A friend recently passed on a book ‘The Incomers’ by Moira McPartlin. I had read it a couple of years ago but am now re-reading it. It reminded me of the time I first met Moira which I reveal below. She was due to headline an Open Mic event but… Hopefully she’ll come along when the event starts once again.
In the ‘good old days’ there used to be an occasional ‘Meet the Author’ gathering at Fruin Farm. One guest author was the wonderful Moira McPartlin. Moira is much more than a writer, although one of note. In a friendly, relaxed atmosphere she shared her interests of running, hill walking, mountaineering, completion of the Munros, her working life and her family life. For all this and much more access Moira’s website. Must mention one more of her interests – music. Moira had acceded to my request and brought along her ‘penny’ whistle – an added bonus for the group.
Mustn’t forget the writing! Moira’s first published novel – The Incomers – mentioned above – tells the story of a West African woman’s arrival in a small town in 1960s Scotland. The reading from this novel led to a discussion on several aspects of people’s perceptions at that time. It was shortlisted for the Saltire Society First Book of the Year Award and was a critical success.
Moira’s latest book (at the time) was the third in her ‘Sun Song’ trilogy. The trilogy is set in a divided world – between the Privileged few and the Native (Celtic) underclass. We were ‘privileged’ to hear the very first public reading from ‘Star of Hope’ which completes the trilogy. The first two were ‘Ways of the Doomed’, Wants of the Silent’.
Since that meeting Moira has been very busy. Check out her website/blog
Mary Irvine, March, 2021
- Aye Write 2021 – Pre-Festival Event
- Mongrel: Donna Campbell debut poetry collection
- World Book Night with Denise Mina
- A WORKING CLASS STATE OF MIND by Colin Burnett
- Wee Nature Fest – Islands of Abandonment
- Sheena Blackhall – Meet the Author
- Slow Nature – Woodlands Community Booklet Launch
- Open The Door Festival 2021 – Scottsh Women’s Writing
- A Year of Workers’ Stories
- Douglas Stuart & Jackie Kay: Shuggie Bain
- Creative Conversations: Lisa Robertson
- At Home Artist’s Talk: GOMA
- Balloch Open Mic: Multi-talented Moira McPartlin
- Poetry – Rizwan Akhtar – jeton d’amour
- Creative Conversations: Shola Von Reinhold
- St Patrick’s Day Special: The Great Irish Songbook
- New Writers Showcase 2020 Scottish Book Trust
- Creative Conversations: Kirstin Innes
- Wild Women International Womens Day 2021
- International Women’s Day – Virtual Book Club