Balloch Open Mic: Multi-talented Moira McPartlin
(photograph: George Lammie)
A friend recently passed on a book ‘The Incomers’ by Moira McPartlin. I had read it a couple of years ago but am now re-reading it. It reminded me of the time I first met Moira which I reveal below. She was due to headline an Open Mic event but… Hopefully she’ll come along when the event starts once again.
In the ‘good old days’ there used to be an occasional ‘Meet the Author’ gathering at Fruin Farm. One guest author was the wonderful Moira McPartlin. Moira is much more than a writer, although one of note. In a friendly, relaxed atmosphere she shared her interests of running, hill walking, mountaineering, completion of the Munros, her working life and her family life. For all this and much more access Moira’s website. Must mention one more of her interests – music. Moira had acceded to my request and brought along her ‘penny’ whistle – an added bonus for the group.
Mustn’t forget the writing! Moira’s first published novel – The Incomers – mentioned above – tells the story of a West African woman’s arrival in a small town in 1960s Scotland. The reading from this novel led to a discussion on several aspects of people’s perceptions at that time. It was shortlisted for the Saltire Society First Book of the Year Award and was a critical success.
Moira’s latest book (at the time) was the third in her ‘Sun Song’ trilogy. The trilogy is set in a divided world – between the Privileged few and the Native (Celtic) underclass. We were ‘privileged’ to hear the very first public reading from ‘Star of Hope’ which completes the trilogy. The first two were ‘Ways of the Doomed’, Wants of the Silent’.
Since that meeting Moira has been very busy. Check out her website/blog
Mary Irvine, March, 2021
- Occupy! Occupy! Occupy! – graphic novel launch
- Mary Irvine’s Blog: Review – The Way Home by Robin Scott-Elliot
- Raw Poetry at Scottish Writers Centre
- The Rhynie Station: Grunnit Spring by Ian R. Mitchell
- Bloody Scotland 2022 McIlvanney Prize Long List
- Pitch Perfect at Bloody Scotland 2022
- Glasgow Literary Lounge at the Scotia Bar
- Scottish Writers: The Glass Cat by George Colkitto – Book Launch
- Book launch: ‘Meantime’ by Frankie Boyle
- The Glasgow Effect: Online Talk with Ellie Harrison
- The Feeling Sonnets – Carcanet Book Launch
- Scottish Writers Centre: Playwriting Workshop
- Sma’ Shot Day 2022
- The Voyage Out: The Travel Writing Workshop with Linda Jackson
- Stories of Our Worlds – Refugee Festival 2022
- Scottish Writers: Bloomsday Celebration with Christie Williamson
- Film + Q&A: Zev Robinson’s “Feeding the City”
- The Wanderlust Women – three poems
- Book Launch: This Script by Jenny Lindsay
- Creative Conversations: Michael Pederson