Alan Murphy – A Nod to John Martyn
Sunday 7th July, 2019 2p.m. – 5 p.m. (with break)
A Nod to John Martyn with Alan Murphy
‘I remember where I was when I heard my first John Martyn album “So Far So Good” in 1977 and it gave me a direction in music which lasts to this day.
I’ve watched John live in Glasgow Students Union – Met him after the gig at Edinburgh Odeon 1978 – Glasgow Sub Club – Glasgow Pavilion Theatre – Glasgow Concert hall – & Dublin Vicar Street.
I am very grateful to have played Solid Air and You Can Discover with Danny Thompson at a John Martyn music gathering, watched him playing Good By Pork Pie Hat, and listened to some of his stories over breakfast.
I’ve bought his “Wotcher” T shirt with his own sketch of his lifelong bass…Victoria.
John died on the 29th of January 2009. On this tenth anniversary year I played a remembrance gig and it was a pleasure to revisit John’s songs. I would like to again share some of his music along with my own compositions as a “Nod to JM” in the fabulous Ferry.’
Telephone for tickets: 01698 360085
or free entry with Lunch.
Muso’s, Friends of The Ferry, Blues Day card holders & Gold Card members enter FREE!!! Also, if you purchase the 2 course lunch then this will save you the entry fee.
Although our venue operates a strictly over 18’s policy for public events in the evening, families (including children) are welcome for all Big Blues Day afternoons.
Food served from 1pm – 4pm
General admission tickets £5
Advanced tickets for 2 course lunch £10 (includes free entry!)
This section: Gig Guide plus Club Events
Filed under: Gig Guide plus Club Events
- An Evening with Women at the Carlton Studios
- Iain Matthews at The Doublet Bar
- Tannahill Arts Festival Paisley
- Adam Sutherland Tales ‘n’ Tunes Old Hairdressers
- Doghouse Roses & Dumb Instrument CCA
- Seven Song Club: Willie Campbell (Astrid), Bensider, Adriana Spina
- Maria Doyle Kennedy, Cottiers
- Book Launch: The Siren Awakes by Linda Jackson
- An Evening with Robin Laing
- Farzane Zamen, folk songs from Iran and Azarbaijan
- Soul Bowl, Partickhill Bowling and Community Club
- Harrison Whitford SWG3
- Edwyn Collins QMU Glasgow
- Propaganda – Indie Club Night, QMU
- G20 Festival GBX Fundraiser
- Starry Skies, Warren and Heather at Old Hairdressers
- Broken Chanter Album Launch, CCA
- Michael Simons at Partick Folk Club
- Pollokshields Proposes Exhibition Launch
- Yellow Road – Folk on the Fringe