Maya Chowdhry, Creative Conversations
Monday 8 October, 2018, 1 p.m. – 2 p.m.
University Chapel, West Quadrangle, Main Building Gilmorehill Campus, University of Glasgow, Glasgow G12 8QQ
POET AND TRANSMEDIA WRITER MAYA CHOWDHRY
Maya Chowdhry’s debut poetry collection was The Seamstress and the Global Garment and her most recent is Fossil (Peepal Tree Press). She’s also published in many anthologies, including Out of Bounds (Bloodaxe) and magazines such as Ambit. She’s won many accolades for her work, including the Cardiff International Poetry Competition.Tales from the Towpath, commissioned by Manchester Literature Festival, was shortlisted for the 2014 New Media Writing Prize.
Maya’s writing is infused with and influenced by her transmedia work for radio, film and theatre. Her previous poetry collection is The Seamstress and the Global Garment. She’s also published in many anthologies, including Out of Bounds (Bloodaxe) and Red (Peepal Tree Press), as well as magazines such as Ambit.
She’s won many accolades for her work, including the Cardiff International Poetry Competition. Her collaborative immersive story experience, Tales from the Towpath at Manchester Literature Festival was shortlisted for the 2014 New Media Writing Prize, and her recent digital poetic work Ripple was shortlisted for the 2015 Dot Award.
She regularly performs her poetry at festivals and events such as ‘Poetic Places’ at The British Library.
Maya worked for Sheffield Film Co-op in the 80s, wrote theatre for young people in the 90s, crossing into digital work in 2000 when she received an Arts Council Year of the Artist Award for destinyNation. Her current work explores seed sovereignty and world water scarcity utilising film, text, animation, photography, augmented reality and the web. She is currently working for Lets Go as a Digital Artist and making interactive theatre.
As part of the on-going Creative Conversation speaker series, poet and transmedia artist Maya Chowdhry comes to campus to chat about her writing. Bring your lunch and burning questions!
Sponsored by the Ferguson Bequest and programmed by Creative Writing at University of Glasgow.
- Arctic, Glasgow Film Festival 2019
- Sarah Jane Scouten The Doublet
- Cowboy Calypso, WomanSaid and Stephen EvEns
- New Candys + Kundalini Genie & Gelatine
- Aye Write: The Writing of Janet Paisley with Dr Linda Jackson, University of Strathclyde
- Silent Disco Party Parade, The Record Factory
- Creative Conversations – Novelist Jacob Ross
- GFF19 Jim Galloway – A Journey In Jazz CCA
- A Private War GFT
- Tell It To The Bees
- The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert
- The Vanishing Glasgow Film Theatre
- An Elephant Sitting Still Glasgow Film Theatre
- The Raft Glasgow Film Theatre
- Tickets on Sale Glasgow Film Festival 2019
- Poetry at Inn Deep
- The Hole in the Ground, Glasgow Film Festival
- Transatlantic Sessions Celtic Connections 2019 review and photography by Pauline Keightley
- FrightFest Week-End 1 and 2 March, 2019
- Full Programme Announced Glasgow Film Festival