Maya Chowdhry, Creative Conversations
Monday 8 October, 2018, 1 p.m. – 2 p.m.
University Chapel, West Quadrangle, Main Building Gilmorehill Campus, University of Glasgow, Glasgow G12 8QQ
POET AND TRANSMEDIA WRITER MAYA CHOWDHRY
Maya Chowdhry’s debut poetry collection was The Seamstress and the Global Garment and her most recent is Fossil (Peepal Tree Press). She’s also published in many anthologies, including Out of Bounds (Bloodaxe) and magazines such as Ambit. She’s won many accolades for her work, including the Cardiff International Poetry Competition.Tales from the Towpath, commissioned by Manchester Literature Festival, was shortlisted for the 2014 New Media Writing Prize.
Maya’s writing is infused with and influenced by her transmedia work for radio, film and theatre. Her previous poetry collection is The Seamstress and the Global Garment. She’s also published in many anthologies, including Out of Bounds (Bloodaxe) and Red (Peepal Tree Press), as well as magazines such as Ambit.
She’s won many accolades for her work, including the Cardiff International Poetry Competition. Her collaborative immersive story experience, Tales from the Towpath at Manchester Literature Festival was shortlisted for the 2014 New Media Writing Prize, and her recent digital poetic work Ripple was shortlisted for the 2015 Dot Award.
She regularly performs her poetry at festivals and events such as ‘Poetic Places’ at The British Library.
Maya worked for Sheffield Film Co-op in the 80s, wrote theatre for young people in the 90s, crossing into digital work in 2000 when she received an Arts Council Year of the Artist Award for destinyNation. Her current work explores seed sovereignty and world water scarcity utilising film, text, animation, photography, augmented reality and the web. She is currently working for Lets Go as a Digital Artist and making interactive theatre.
As part of the on-going Creative Conversation speaker series, poet and transmedia artist Maya Chowdhry comes to campus to chat about her writing. Bring your lunch and burning questions!
Sponsored by the Ferguson Bequest and programmed by Creative Writing at University of Glasgow.
- A Deal With The Universe, GFT
- Thistle Gallery: Vibrant Show Celebrates The Coming of Spring
- Beatson Gin and Sing: Grease at OranMor
- The 33rd Glasgow Jazz Festival 2019
- The Tailor of Inverness WebstersTheatre
- Glasgow Contemporary Art Fair 2019
- Seven Song Club, Lynnie Carson , Rebecca Jordan and Bearpit Brothers
- Glasgow Petanque Club
- Joe Hullait, Scot Squad Writer at QMU
- The Carlton 3, Peat Stew at The Shandon Belles The Buttery
- Creative Conversations, Kathleen Winter
- New Writings Showcase, Scottish Writers’ Centre
- Ian Macpherson, Comedy Writing Workshop
- Southside Film Festival 2019
- Chris Brookmyre, Aye Write
- Poetry at The Parlour Glasgow West End
- KeanuCon 2019 CCA
- GRAMNet/BEMIS Film Series Beyond Borders: Stories of Freedom and Friendship, CCA
- The Fight GFT
- Rafiki, GFT