Thomas Muir Festival 2018
Wednesday 7th November 2018, 12.45pm – 4.30pm
‘THE PEOPLE’S VOICE’:
Scottish Political Poetry, Song and the Franchise 1832-1918
You are warmly invited to attend
the 8th in the annual series of Friends of Thomas Muir symposia
This year the main focus will be on the work of a current cross-institutional research project The People’s Voice: Scottish Political Poetry, Song and the Franchise 1832-1918, funded by the Carnegie Trust.
The project covers the various roles that poetry and song cultures played in Scottish popular politics during the Victorian and Edwardian years.
Afternoon includes talks and music
Speakers will include:
Professor Gerard Carruthers (University of Glasgow), with his ‘Reflections on the People’s Voice Project’. (Podcast:Jim and Pat’s West End Chat: Jim chats to Prof Gerry Carruthers)
Duncan Hotchkiss (University of Stirling) on ‘Rediscovering Voices in the Gardyne Collection of Scottish Poetry’ (Mitchell Library).
Professor Kirstie Blair (University of Strathclyde) on ‘Working Class Poetry and Politics’.
There will also be contributions by
Boclair Academy Pupils,
including musical performances.
Please RSVP to FOTM Secretary Don Martin email address: email@example.com
Friends and guests are very welcome to attend, please let Don have names of those attending.
Filed under: Books, Talks, Poetry and Creative Writing Events, Events, Fairs, Festivals and Fundraisers, What's On Glasgow West End: cinema, clubs, theatre, music, events, festivals, community and more
- New Patterns for Paisley, Paisley Book Festival
- What It Means To Overcome – Paisley Film Festival
- Paisley Book Festival – A Kist of Thistles
- Film Festival Institut Francais
- How Does It Feel To Be Loved – Virtual Dance Party
- Interactive Map – Global Burns Suppers
- The Burns Supper Addressed Burns Centre University of Glasgow
- Hannah Lavery Creative Conversations
- The Acoustic Night Special Nice ‘n’ Sleazy
- The World I Fell Out Of – Melanie Reid
- Vivian French and The Giant’s Tea Party
- COP26 Global Event In Glasgow – Seeks Volunteers
- Fright Fest Glasgow Film Festival Online 2021
- Believe in Scotland Virtual Burns Supper
- A Virtual Burns Night Edinburgh Castle
- Burns Celebration Online Tannahill Centre
- Janey Godley’s Big Burns Supper Online
- Paisley Book Festival 2021 – Online
- Bemis – Celtic Connections in the Community
- Opening Celebration Concert Celtic Connections Online 2021