Deniro – the Bulldog from Netherburn cast as Rufus in Legally Blonde, Glasgow
Deniro will star alongside Eastender’s Rita Simmons, Eurovision singer Lucie Jones, Emmerdale’s Bill War at the King’s Theatre from Monday 25 – 28 April, 2018.
King’s Theatre, 297 Bath St, Glasgow G2 4JN
Hopeful pups in Glasgow today lined up at Theatre Royal to audition for the role of Rufus in Legally Blonde the Musical which will run at the King’s Theatre in April.
Last month, the producers of the smash-hit musical Broadway and West End production issued a casting call issue the role of Rufus, character Paulette Bonafonté’s dog.
Legally Blonde the Musical will run at the King’s Monday 23-Saturday 28 April.
A British Bulldog was the preferred breed however other dogs were welcome to apply if they had a “brutish nature”.
Among the 12 dogs selected to audition at Theatre Royal on Wednesday 14 February were British Bulldogs, a Chow Chow and a Husky.
Each pooch had five minutes to impress the judging panel which was formed of David Barrett, Associate Director of Legally Blonde, Helen Petrovna, who will play Brooke in the show and Robyn Davis from the King’s and Theatre Royal.
The judges then selected the final three pooches before calling them to back to make a choice on the ultimate candidate.
The three final three dogs were Diniro from Netherburn, Tia from East Kilbride and Guinness from Penilee, all of whom were bulldogs.
The standout contestant for the judging panel however was bulldog Diniro thanks to his laidback attitude.
David Barrett said: “We had a great turn out in Glasgow and we were very impressed with the talent each dog had.
“It was an incredibly difficult decision but we unanimously decided on Diniro due to his fantastic relaxed temperament in the exercises during the audition.
“We can’t wait to welcome him to the Legally Blonde company upon out arrival in Glasgow.”
Deniro’s owner Annis Sweeney, said she was thrilled and that this would be Deniro’s stage debut.
She added: “He has always been very laid back. He’s like this all the time, it’s in his nature,
“He loves being around the people so he’ll have a great time with the Legally Blonde cast.”
Deniro will star alongside, Eastender’s Rita Simmons, Eurovision singer Lucie Jones, Emmerdale’s Bill Ward and of course, Elle’s dog Brusier.
Legally Blonde the Musical is an all singing, all dancing romantic comedy, a fun-filled, feel-good pink fest.
The popular tale tells of college sweetheart and homecoming queen Elle Woods who doesn’t take no for an answer. When her boyfriend dumps her for someone more serious, Elle puts down the credit card, hits the books and heads for Harvard Law School while proving that being true to yourself never goes out of style.
Based on the Reese Witherspoon film, Legally Blonde the Musical earned seven Tony nominations and 10 Drama Desk Award nominations during its Broadway run.
In the UK it was nominated for 5
Laurence Olivier Awards, winning 3 including Best New Musical. It was also nominated
- Book Launch: Welcome to the Heady Heights by David Ross
- Woodlands Community Garden’s 9th Birthday Celebration
- Starchild Art for Africa with McTears Auctioneers and The Hidden Lane Gallery
- Frank Turner at Aye Write
- Lynn Howarth Featured Artist at The Glasgow Gallery
- Aye Write! Open Mic with Cheeky Besom Productions
- Andrew O’Hagan Creative Conversations
- Launch of The Blame Game C.J. Cooke
- Hannah Aldridge and the Goat Roper Band
- Music Broth Grow With Music Youth Project
- Aye Write: Emily Cutts with Carol Craig
- Ras Digby (Sir Jessus Soundsystem) The Rum Shack
- Girl GFT
- Astro Black GSFF at CCA
- Glasgow Short Film Festival 2019
- First Reels 2: Scottish Women Filmmakers of the 1990s CCA
- Wuthering Heights, Glasgow Film Theatre
- GSFF19 | Blueprint: Scottish Independent Shorts
- Accents, Glasgow Short Film Festival 2019
- Us, Glasgow Film Theatre