Astro Black GSFF at CCA
14 – 17 March, 2019
CCA, 350 Sauchiehall Street, G2 3JD
Titled in tribute to cosmic jazz artist Sun Ra’s 1972 album, Astro Black is an ongoing multi-channel video cycle with the musician as its central figure. Comprised entirely of samples from film and music sources, Soda_Jerk’s work takes us on an alternate history tour of political resistance and music, via Afrofuturism, avant-garde jazz, German electronic music, and hip-hop, as well as being stacked with pop cultural imagery, from the moon landing to Star Trek and David Bowie.
Formed in Sydney in 2002, Soda_Jerk is a two-person art collective working at the intersection of documentary and speculative fiction. They are fundamentally interested in the politics of images: how they circulate, whom they benefit, and how they can be undone, through sampling, re-editing, superimposition and humour.
The Astro Black cycle has been exhibited at institutions including the Barbican (London), Wexner Center for the Arts (Columbus), Museum of Contemporary Art Australia (Sydney), and the National Gallery of Art (Washington DC).
Astro Black is a free installation in CCA Intermedia Gallery, running from 11.00 until 19.00 each day of the festival.
This section: Cinema, Glasgow Film Festival 2019
- Pain and Glory, GFT
- A Faithful Man, GFT
- Chic-raq GFT
- Pity Party Film Club CCA
- Through Black Spruce, GFT
- BlacKkKlansman, GFT
- Matchbox Cineclub Weird Weekend at CCA Glasgow
- Gaza GFT
- Preview: For Sama GFT plus Q & A
- Canada Now, GFT
- Take One Action, GFT
- Kaleidoscope Realms, Matchbox Cine Club
- The Farewell Opening Gala GYFF 2019
- Drag Kids, GFT Glasgow Youth Film Festival
- Careers in Film – Glasgow Youth Film Festival
- Glasgow Youth Film Festival 2019
- Five Seasons: The Gardens of Piet Oudolf at GFT
- Africa in Motion Film Club: Kuxa Kanema CCA
- Apocalypse Now: Final Cut plus recorded Q and A GFT
- Adoption GFT