Astro Black GSFF at CCA
14 – 17 March, 2019
CCA, 350 Sauchiehall Street, G2 3JD
Titled in tribute to cosmic jazz artist Sun Ra’s 1972 album, Astro Black is an ongoing multi-channel video cycle with the musician as its central figure. Comprised entirely of samples from film and music sources, Soda_Jerk’s work takes us on an alternate history tour of political resistance and music, via Afrofuturism, avant-garde jazz, German electronic music, and hip-hop, as well as being stacked with pop cultural imagery, from the moon landing to Star Trek and David Bowie.
Formed in Sydney in 2002, Soda_Jerk is a two-person art collective working at the intersection of documentary and speculative fiction. They are fundamentally interested in the politics of images: how they circulate, whom they benefit, and how they can be undone, through sampling, re-editing, superimposition and humour.
The Astro Black cycle has been exhibited at institutions including the Barbican (London), Wexner Center for the Arts (Columbus), Museum of Contemporary Art Australia (Sydney), and the National Gallery of Art (Washington DC).
Astro Black is a free installation in CCA Intermedia Gallery, running from 11.00 until 19.00 each day of the festival.
This section: Cinema, Glasgow Film Festival 2019
- Girl GFT
- Astro Black GSFF at CCA
- Glasgow Short Film Festival 2019
- First Reels 2: Scottish Women Filmmakers of the 1990s CCA
- Wuthering Heights, Glasgow Film Theatre
- GSFF19 | Blueprint: Scottish Independent Shorts
- Accents, Glasgow Short Film Festival 2019
- Us, Glasgow Film Theatre
- Under the Silver Lake GFT
- Laurel and Hardy, Best Before Bed Cinema
- Everybody Knows GFT
- Yikes Film Club – Brass Eye Tapes
- Femspectives Film Festival Glasgow
- Womxns Networking Brunch
- Evening of discussion: poetry and film with Sawsan Al-Areeqe
- GSFF: Opening Screening Terror Nullius
- Ray and Liz, GFT
- Margaret Atwood – Live in Cinemas
- Maiden GFT
- The Kindergarten Teacher, GFT