You’re Only Young Twice – Digital Doors Open Day 2020
A lively discussion of Terry Bishop’s neglected 1952 campus comedy classic ‘You’re Only Young Twice’, filmed at the University of Glasgow.
17 September, 2020 7.30 pm – 8.30 p.m.
About this Event
You’re Only Young Twice
James Bridie, Irish-Scottish Studies & the University of Glasgow on Film
Join a lively discussion led by Professor Willy Maley on the neglected 1952 campus comedy classic You’re Only Young Twice, which was filmed at the University of Glasgow.
Written by former Glasgow Professor of Medicine James Bridie it tells the story of a fugitive poet active in the struggle for Irish independence now posing as a porter, interwoven with a narrative of campus politics involving the election of a new Rector. This combination of a power struggle at the top of the University and a storyline that reflects on recent Irish history makes for an intriguing work. Starring Duncan MacRae, Roddy McMillan, a young Ronnie Corbett and Charles Hawtrey, and students of the College of Dramatic Art that Bridie helped found in 1950.
Clips from You’re Only Young Twice will be shared during the event, but recommend that you watch the film in full in advance.
Presented as part of Glasgow Doors Open Days Digital Festival 2020.
Free – Register at Eventbrite
Filed under: Books, Talks, Poetry and Creative Writing Events, Cinema, Events, Fairs, Festivals and Fundraisers, What's On Glasgow West End: cinema, clubs, theatre, music, events, festivals, community and more, Zoom and online events
- WestFest – The Big Weekend
- Soul Bowl, Partickhill Bowling and Community Club
- WOCO Woodlands’ Own Community Festival
- The Making of Alasdair Gray’s Lanark
- Govanhill Children’s Book Festival
- Hannah Rarity at Cottiers (rescheduled)
- Kim Edgar and Rhona Macfarlane at Cottiers
- Piping Live! Family Fun Day
- Scotland on Tour – The Rum Shack, Glasgow
- The Paul McKenna Band – Websters Theatre
- The Mould That Changed The World – Websters Theatre
- Access Film Club: Hot Fuzz
- Blind Ambition at Glasgow Film Theatre
- Eric Ravilious: Drawn To War at GFT
- Notre Dame On Fire at GFT
- Nightclubbing: The Birth of Punk Rock in New York City
- The Harder They Come – 50th Annivesary
- Break the Cycle of Homelessness with Social Bite
- Occupy! Occupy! Occupy! – graphic novel launch
- Cottiers – Bar, Restaurant, Theatre, Glasgow West End