You’re Only Young Twice – Digital Doors Open Day 2020
A lively discussion of Terry Bishop’s neglected 1952 campus comedy classic ‘You’re Only Young Twice’, filmed at the University of Glasgow.
17 September, 2020 7.30 pm – 8.30 p.m.
About this Event
You’re Only Young Twice
James Bridie, Irish-Scottish Studies & the University of Glasgow on Film
Join a lively discussion led by Professor Willy Maley on the neglected 1952 campus comedy classic You’re Only Young Twice, which was filmed at the University of Glasgow.
Written by former Glasgow Professor of Medicine James Bridie it tells the story of a fugitive poet active in the struggle for Irish independence now posing as a porter, interwoven with a narrative of campus politics involving the election of a new Rector. This combination of a power struggle at the top of the University and a storyline that reflects on recent Irish history makes for an intriguing work. Starring Duncan MacRae, Roddy McMillan, a young Ronnie Corbett and Charles Hawtrey, and students of the College of Dramatic Art that Bridie helped found in 1950.
Clips from You’re Only Young Twice will be shared during the event, but recommend that you watch the film in full in advance.
Presented as part of Glasgow Doors Open Days Digital Festival 2020.
Free – Register at Eventbrite
Filed under: Books, Talks, Poetry and Creative Writing Events, Cinema, Events, Fairs, Festivals and Fundraisers, What's On Glasgow West End: cinema, clubs, theatre, music, events, festivals, community and more, Zoom and online events
- Refugees for Justice, Remembrance Bench Dedication
- Glasgow Film Festival Announces 2022 Programme
- Linda Jaxson Band, Websters
- Terrence Higgins Trust 10K Fundraiser in Glasgow
- The Sea of Paperwork Exhibition – Maryhill Integration Network
- Sonica Festival 2022
- Trans – I Got Life at Glasgow Film Theatre
- Cicada, Glasgow Film Theatre
- Temple Grandin plus Recorded Q & A, Glasgow Film Theatre
- Mass, Glasgow Film Theatre
- Nightmare Alley, Glasgow Film Theatre
- Memory Box, Glasgow Film Theatre
- Belfast, Glasgow Film Theatre
- Unchained Comedy Club at McChuills
- Compass Gallery: Gary Anderson RSW : Thoughts and Contemplations
- Scottish Opera Breath Cycle Programme for Long Covid Patients
- Refugee Week Conference 2022
- Kavya Prize – New Writers Prize To Celebrate Scotland’s Ethnically Diverse Communities
- Second International Alasdair Gray Conference
- People’s Palace 124th Birthday Celebration