You’re Only Young Twice – Digital Doors Open Day 2020
A lively discussion of Terry Bishop’s neglected 1952 campus comedy classic ‘You’re Only Young Twice’, filmed at the University of Glasgow.
17 September, 2020 7.30 pm – 8.30 p.m.
About this Event
You’re Only Young Twice
James Bridie, Irish-Scottish Studies & the University of Glasgow on Film
Join a lively discussion led by Professor Willy Maley on the neglected 1952 campus comedy classic You’re Only Young Twice, which was filmed at the University of Glasgow.
Written by former Glasgow Professor of Medicine James Bridie it tells the story of a fugitive poet active in the struggle for Irish independence now posing as a porter, interwoven with a narrative of campus politics involving the election of a new Rector. This combination of a power struggle at the top of the University and a storyline that reflects on recent Irish history makes for an intriguing work. Starring Duncan MacRae, Roddy McMillan, a young Ronnie Corbett and Charles Hawtrey, and students of the College of Dramatic Art that Bridie helped found in 1950.
Clips from You’re Only Young Twice will be shared during the event, but recommend that you watch the film in full in advance.
Presented as part of Glasgow Doors Open Days Digital Festival 2020.
Free – Register at Eventbrite
Filed under: Books, Talks, Poetry and Creative Writing Events, Cinema, Events, Fairs, Festivals and Fundraisers, What's On Glasgow West End: cinema, clubs, theatre, music, events, festivals, community and more, Zoom and online events
- Arracht – Glasgow Film Theatre at Home
- The Long Walk – GFT A Home
- Africa in Motion 2020
- Cambridge Literary Festival – Winter Festival Online
- French Film Festival 2020 – Online
- Big Book Week Scotland Quiz 2020
- P.M. Freestone at Creative Conversations
- Book Week Scotland 2020
- Real Bread Bakers – Screening and Discussion
- Book Week Scotland 2020: Glasgow Libraries
- Creative Conversations: Sandy NicDhòmhnaill Jones
- I Like Your Hat – book launch with Magi Gibson
- Scottish Writers Centre: Double Book Launch Leela Soma and Allan Martin
- Glasgow Film Festival 2021
- Poetry, Reading and Discussion
- Creative Conversations, University of Glasgow
- Queerness in 1980s Glasgow – Douglas Stuart
- Bloody Scotland: Michael Connelly and Ian Rankin
- New World, New Beginnings – Poetry Event Online
- Creative Conversations: Peter May