You’re Only Young Twice – Digital Doors Open Day 2020
A lively discussion of Terry Bishop’s neglected 1952 campus comedy classic ‘You’re Only Young Twice’, filmed at the University of Glasgow.
17 September, 2020 7.30 pm – 8.30 p.m.
About this Event
You’re Only Young Twice
James Bridie, Irish-Scottish Studies & the University of Glasgow on Film
Join a lively discussion led by Professor Willy Maley on the neglected 1952 campus comedy classic You’re Only Young Twice, which was filmed at the University of Glasgow.
Written by former Glasgow Professor of Medicine James Bridie it tells the story of a fugitive poet active in the struggle for Irish independence now posing as a porter, interwoven with a narrative of campus politics involving the election of a new Rector. This combination of a power struggle at the top of the University and a storyline that reflects on recent Irish history makes for an intriguing work. Starring Duncan MacRae, Roddy McMillan, a young Ronnie Corbett and Charles Hawtrey, and students of the College of Dramatic Art that Bridie helped found in 1950.
Clips from You’re Only Young Twice will be shared during the event, but recommend that you watch the film in full in advance.
Presented as part of Glasgow Doors Open Days Digital Festival 2020.
Free – Register at Eventbrite
Filed under: Books, Talks, Poetry and Creative Writing Events, Cinema, Events, Fairs, Festivals and Fundraisers, What's On Glasgow West End: cinema, clubs, theatre, music, events, festivals, community and more, Zoom and online events
- Creative Conversations: Kirstin Innes
- Yer Old Faither, Glasgow Film Festival Online
- Wild Women International Womens Day 2021
- Spring Blossom Glasgow Film Festival 2021
- Soothing Stress and Living Well IWD 2021
- International Womens Day 2021 Scottish Women’s Convention
- International Womens Day 2021 Quiz
- Unite Industrial Women – #IWD2021
- International Women’s Day – Virtual Book Club
- Balloch Open Mic – Interview with Billy Scobie
- Glasgow Film Festival 2021 – Spring Blossom review Pat Byrne
- FrightFest – American Badger review by Danielle O’Neill Young
- FrightFest Glasgow 2021 – ‘Vicious Fun’ review Danielle O’Neill Young
- Glasgow Film Festival – Rosa’s Wedding review by Pat Byrne
- Book Launch – Peter May: The Night Gate
- Yer Old Faither review by Pat Byrne
- Wildland Glasgow Film Festival Online review Pat Byrne
- Introductions to birding in Glasgow – with Scott Rogers Part IV(Nature Recovery)
- CLIC Sargent – World Book Day Fundraiser
- Spring Fling Queen Margaret Drive