Some Wintertime Poems by Finola Scott
So the Darkness approaches,
I could talk of
the rip and reveal of the veil
stripped furrows and iron earth
barren trees, growth-numbed
days blink-blind short
fur and leather on the wing
claws’ clatter at thresholds.
Instead I consider
the star bright canopy
hoar-silvered morning webs
ruddy- riped berries
a horned moon hooking night
rooms flamed in candlelight
vevlet nights in each other’s skin.
My arms open.
This city’s a cutting room tonight.
Slashed ribbons of fog freeze braes.
Clattering cobbles hush. Tattered organza
halts Jekyll’s progress, cordons narrow closes,
cloaks solemn steps. Shreds of chiffon wander
wynds, muzzle mouths, silence Deacon Brodie.
This city’s a cutting room. Dank white
damask chokes booted footfalls,
Burke & Hare slip stealthily. Leaves
Dr Knox safe again. Iced satin snags
and drapes, the Castle’s a glowering ghost.
Cut on the bias crystal mist binds, blinds.
Edinburgh’s under wraps.
In winter wet, the struggle to dry washing.
Partner-less pillowcases, single sheets
recall other sunny washes. Squares
of towelling flapped and sang. Tiny vests,
cotton mitts – clothes for startled changelings.
Dolly pegs pranced tight-ropes
of bright tomorrows.
Today brute frost stiffens fabric rigid.
The robin stays on a distant wall.
I feel the chill marrow-deep.
by Finola Scott
- Nursat Fatah Ali Praises Muhammad pbuh – Rizwan Akhtar
- Ghazal: Soul’s Food – Rizwan Akhtar
- Poetry by Hafsah Bashir
- Mary Irvine’s Blog: The Eve of Destruction – again?
- Shaking Hands With Christmas – Brian Whittingham
- Winter Rain – Derek J. Brown
- Christmas Chocolate Log with Irish Cream Filling by Mags McGrath
- Tak Tent (Take Care) Christmas video – Janet Crawford
- Ice on Loch Lomond a poem by Catriona Malan
- Hopes and Fears by James Connarty
- Driving to Mass by Micheal Norton
- Ruby saves the day by Gillian Mayes
- Reunion – a poem by Rizwan Akhtar
- Wash a poem by Nina Quigley
- Poetry: Love’s Noise by Rizwan Akhtar
- Ghazal: the phone – poem by Rizwan Akhtar
- Performance Cancelled by Pat Byrne
- Corona Virus Stew – poem by Leela Soma
- Baked With Love – a poem by Leela Soma
- Fionnuala Boyle – Glove Makes the World Go Round