Some Wintertime Poems by Finola Scott
So the Darkness approaches,
I could talk of
the rip and reveal of the veil
stripped furrows and iron earth
barren trees, growth-numbed
days blink-blind short
fur and leather on the wing
claws’ clatter at thresholds.
Instead I consider
the star bright canopy
hoar-silvered morning webs
ruddy- riped berries
a horned moon hooking night
rooms flamed in candlelight
vevlet nights in each other’s skin.
My arms open.
This city’s a cutting room tonight.
Slashed ribbons of fog freeze braes.
Clattering cobbles hush. Tattered organza
halts Jekyll’s progress, cordons narrow closes,
cloaks solemn steps. Shreds of chiffon wander
wynds, muzzle mouths, silence Deacon Brodie.
This city’s a cutting room. Dank white
damask chokes booted footfalls,
Burke & Hare slip stealthily. Leaves
Dr Knox safe again. Iced satin snags
and drapes, the Castle’s a glowering ghost.
Cut on the bias crystal mist binds, blinds.
Edinburgh’s under wraps.
In winter wet, the struggle to dry washing.
Partner-less pillowcases, single sheets
recall other sunny washes. Squares
of towelling flapped and sang. Tiny vests,
cotton mitts – clothes for startled changelings.
Dolly pegs pranced tight-ropes
of bright tomorrows.
Today brute frost stiffens fabric rigid.
The robin stays on a distant wall.
I feel the chill marrow-deep.
by Finola Scott
- Town Hall Meeting U.S.A. Leela Soma
- Two poems by Finola Scott: ‘Garlic’ and ‘Rhubarb’
- Flowers – poems by Leela Soma
- I Deserve This – a poem for Christmas by Calum Maclean
- A Christmas Poem – The Forgotten by Margaret Harrison
- Frohe Weihnachten – a Christmas Poem by Brian Whittingham
- Bluid Muin – Lunar Eclipse by Finola Scott
- Some Wintertime Poems by Finola Scott
- Goldie by Pat Byrne
- The Stress of Christmas Wrapping by Calum Maclean
- Reading Palms by Stephen Watt
- Poetry: Lahore, I am coming by Rizwan Akhtar
- Autumn Makes Me Sad by Muriel Baker
- Three Haibun by Robin Lloyd-Jones
- The Indian Shawl a poem by Muriel Baker
- Plum Stone Throat a poem by Jenne Gray
- Autumn Visit to USA by Leela Soma
- Lochwinnoch – a poem by Lindsey Stewart
- Living in Shoes – poem by Gail Winters
- The Big Chair – Autumn Voices – Robin Lloyd-Jones