Video History Scotland, DVD Memories of the Isle of Arran 1933 – 1993
DVD Memories of the Isle of Arran 1933 – 1993
The beautiful and ever-popular Island of Arran has held magical memories for holidaymakers, visitors and hill walkers for over a century. With its breath-taking scenery, mountains, including the famous Goat Fell, and its many picturesque bays and inlets Arran truly is a “jewel in the crown” on the Firth of Clyde.
This DVD provides a fascinating tour both around the island and back in time – starting in 1933. It invites you to relive and revisit the many towns, bays and events over sixty years up till 1993. Capturing the days when the steamers brought visitors and holidaymakers “Doon the Watter” from Glasgow, Largs, Gourock, Rothesay and other ports, to arrive at Brodick, Lamlash, Blackwaterfoot or Whiting Bay; for an adventure trip or holiday to this magical island.
Step back in time and tour the island and its many fascinating landmarks and secret places, including Brodick Castle, Glen Sannox, Lochranza Castle, Goat Fell – with its magnificent views over Mauchrie Moor, Drumadoon Bay, Lamlash Bay and Brodick Bay. See the King’s cave, where Robert the Bruce is said to have been inspired by the spider, and the mysterious standing stones that stretch back over 5,000 years.
Relive the arrival of visitors and others aboard the once numerous, proud and graceful Clyde steamers that called at Arran from the 1930’s, including The Marchioness of Graham, TS King Edward, Duchess of Montrose, NB Steamer Waverley, Duchess of Argyll, Duchess of Montrose, P.S. Mercury, TS Queen Mary, TS Duchess of Hamilton, PS Caledonia and, of course, the current PS Waverley. All teaming with excited visitors waiting to disembark at Lamlash, Brodick, Lochranza and other points around the island.
Experience how, in days gone by, holidaymakers and visitors spent their holidays on Arran with its five golf courses and fabulous beaches, complete with bathing and beach huts.
Whether you have ties to the Isle of Arran, or simply want to capture the nostalgia and fond golden memories of times spent on the island, this is a unique archive journey that will not disappoint.
- Mika & Me Eyewear Glasgow
- Wully Davidson’s Bus Pass Rambles: Warm Day in the West Highlands
- Wully Davidson’s Blog: Isle of Gigha
- Wullie Davidson: Bus Pass Ramblings – Crail to Anstruther
- Anniesland Butchers
- Wullie Davidson’s Bus Pass Ramblings: Inverary and Tarbert
- Lifting The Lid on Whistler at the Hunterian
- Hand Made Guitars – Glasgow
- Christmas Exhibition 2020 – Compass Gallery
- Jasmine Boutique – Stay at Home Service
- Arts and Crafts Market Online
- From the Studio of Alasdair Gray – Sale Great Western Auctions
- Stories from the Briggait – Glasgow Doors Open Day
- Jasmine Boutique Hyndland Sale
- Day Away on Scottish Ferries
- Glasgow Walk: Maryhill, The Venice of the North by Ian R. Mitchell
- Jasmine – Reopening After Lockdown
- Great Styles from Around the Globe at Jasmine Boutique – Gallery
- Porcelain by Nancy Smillie
- Kothel Crow Road – boxes of daily selected fruit and veg