Video History Scotland, DVD Memories of the Isle of Arran 1933 – 1993
DVD Memories of the Isle of Arran 1933 – 1993
The beautiful and ever-popular Island of Arran has held magical memories for holidaymakers, visitors and hill walkers for over a century. With its breath-taking scenery, mountains, including the famous Goat Fell, and its many picturesque bays and inlets Arran truly is a “jewel in the crown” on the Firth of Clyde.
This DVD provides a fascinating tour both around the island and back in time – starting in 1933. It invites you to relive and revisit the many towns, bays and events over sixty years up till 1993. Capturing the days when the steamers brought visitors and holidaymakers “Doon the Watter” from Glasgow, Largs, Gourock, Rothesay and other ports, to arrive at Brodick, Lamlash, Blackwaterfoot or Whiting Bay; for an adventure trip or holiday to this magical island.
Step back in time and tour the island and its many fascinating landmarks and secret places, including Brodick Castle, Glen Sannox, Lochranza Castle, Goat Fell – with its magnificent views over Mauchrie Moor, Drumadoon Bay, Lamlash Bay and Brodick Bay. See the King’s cave, where Robert the Bruce is said to have been inspired by the spider, and the mysterious standing stones that stretch back over 5,000 years.
Relive the arrival of visitors and others aboard the once numerous, proud and graceful Clyde steamers that called at Arran from the 1930’s, including The Marchioness of Graham, TS King Edward, Duchess of Montrose, NB Steamer Waverley, Duchess of Argyll, Duchess of Montrose, P.S. Mercury, TS Queen Mary, TS Duchess of Hamilton, PS Caledonia and, of course, the current PS Waverley. All teaming with excited visitors waiting to disembark at Lamlash, Brodick, Lochranza and other points around the island.
Experience how, in days gone by, holidaymakers and visitors spent their holidays on Arran with its five golf courses and fabulous beaches, complete with bathing and beach huts.
Whether you have ties to the Isle of Arran, or simply want to capture the nostalgia and fond golden memories of times spent on the island, this is a unique archive journey that will not disappoint.
- The Store Interiors, Anniesland, Glasgow
- Books at the Botanics, Christmas 2019
- The Glasgow Guild – Christmas 2019
- Project Ability Christmas Show 2019
- Christmas Tech Sale at The Dream Machine
- George Square Christmas Market 2019
- Art on the Exchange Glasgow
- Festive Hampers and Gifts at Eusebi
- Hotel du Vin 1 Devonshire Christmas Market 2019
- Christmas Shopping at Thistle Books Glasgow West End
- Christmas Fair Riverside Museum 2019
- Difference by Design Arts and Crafts Fair, Websters
- Christmas Fayre House for an Art Lover, Glasgow
- Christmas Shopping Glasgow West End
- Winter Wonderland Christmas Street Party Ashton Lane
- Wasps Winter Artists and Makers Market 2019
- Winter Fine Art and Antiques Auction, Great Western Auction
- Christmas Extravaganza 2019 Salvation Army Partick
- Christmas Tree Light Switch On & Street Market 2019 Glasgow West End
- Julesbasar – Norwegian Christmas Fair Glasgow 2019