University of Glasgow’s got its own wool!
UNIVERSITY OF GLASGOW CREATES ITS OWN WOOL
Friday 16 Nov 2018 08:00:00 GMT
The University of Glasgow has created its own brand of knitting yarn made with wool from sheep reared on its own farm.
Cochno Wool is a luxurious wool available in four colours – natural (un-dyed), University blue, Thistle pink and Slate grey. The wool can be purchased at the University shop.
The idea is the brainchild of academics – Professor Lynn Abrams and Dr Marina Moskowitz – both keen knitters and historians of Scottish knitted textiles.
Professor Abrams, Head of the School of School of Humanities | Sgoil nan Daonnachdan at the University of Glasgow, said: “Knitted textiles are an important and very recognisable part of Scotland’s heritage – think Fair Isle jumpers and Sanquhar gloves and the knitwear factories of the Borders – but they also make a significant contribution to the Scottish economy.
“Knitting is also back in fashion as part of the new interest, particularly amongst younger generations, in textile crafts. Our knitting wool is locally grown, meeting the desire amongst makers for materials with traceable provenance.”
The historians were inspired by their project on Scottish knitted textiles funded by the Royal Society of Edinburgh.
The project – Knitting in the Round; Hand-Knitted Textiles and the Economies of Craft in Scotland – has focused on themes of sustainability, creativity and authenticity and has collaborated with heritage organisations, knitwear designers and makers to better understand the historical antecedents of today’s Scottish knitwear revival.
In June last year, the Cochno farm flock were sheared. Then the fleeces were sent to the Natural Fibre Company for processing.
The venture has been part-funded by the University’s Chancellor’s Fund. The ball band design which features the Cochno Stone, a Neolithic stone with cup marks located in the vicinity of the farm near Clydebank, was designed by Fraser Rowan, the College of Arts Impact Manager.
- Addicted The Musical Websters Theatre Glasgow
- Poetry Launches CCA – Stephen Watt, Derek Parkes and Mandy Haggith
- Sikorski Polish Club, Glasgow Doors Open Day 2019
- Rod Picott The Admiral Bar
- Opening GYFF Gala: The Farewell (PG)
- Something Fishy Clydebuilt Festival 2019
- The Wedding Planner, OranMor
- An Evening with Women at the Carlton Studios
- Clydebuilt Festival 2019
- Wullie Davidson’s Bus Pass Ramblings: St Andrews
- Glasgow Youth Film Festival 2019
- For Sama GFT
- Drag Kids, GFT Glasgow Youth Film Festival
- Code Geass: Lelouch of the Re;Surrection GFT
- Iain Matthews at The Doublet Bar
- Tannahill Arts Festival Paisley
- Cleek the movie – Tannahill Arts Festival
- Adam Sutherland Tales ‘n’ Tunes Old Hairdressers
- The Glasgow Guild Talks 2019
- Ando Glaso Gypsy Music Short Course CCA