The Thistle Gallery: Charismatic Catalonian artist Miquel Torner de Semir until 8th November, 2015
56 Park Rd, Glasgow G4 9JF
Charismatic Catalonian artist Miquel Torner de Semir has nine of his extraordinary paintings currently in the Thistle Gallery in Park Road but for a limited two week run only until November 8th.
His works are in numerous public collections in Spain including the Museum of the Royal Mint and are highly sought after by art collectors internationally.
Often working in collage he uses musical score, canvas and lace to add structure, texture and depth to his work. Torner de Semir’s work bridges the gap between the old and the new and his influence from Gothic stained glass can clearly be seen. By the use of thick black lines to outline his figures he creates paintings within paintings and his use of truly vivid, neon colours link these windows to the modern world. Influenced by his contemporary Picasso, his passion for the historical, as well as the modern, is ever present.
Internationally renowned he was honoured in 2003 and commissioned to design a postage stamp to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the Spanish Constitution.
Gallery owner Carol Dunbar said this week:
‘it’s both a privilege and a pleasure for our Gallery to be exhibiting this prestigious artist’s work in Glasgow. His rich, vivid colourful exhibits are dynamic and dramatic and each work is a statement piece in its own right. And we’re grateful to Tracey McNee Fine Art for facilitating the event.’
Thistle Gallery, 56 Park Rd, Glasgow G4 9JF
This section: Art, Photography, Exhibitions what's on-glasgow
Filed under: Art, Photography, Exhibitions what's on-glasgow
- The Glasgow Guild Talks 2019
- Spanish Civil War Collections The Mitchell Library
- Sarah Kudirka Open Studio The Hidden Lane
- ‘Creatures as Natural Hunters’ Damian Henry Glasgow Print Studio
- Glasgow Museums – Great Big Heritage Bus Tour
- Spirit of Revolt, Show and Tell – Workers City, The Mitchell
- Glasgow Then and Now at The Mitchell Library
- Ilana Halperin: Minerals of New York, The Hunterian
- Linda McCartney Retrospective at Kelvingrove Art Gallery
- Glasgow School of Art Graduate Degree Show 2019
- Trees v Capitalism by Maggie Kelly at Woodland Community Workspace
- Govanhill: Portrait of a Community review Pat Byrne
- Young Talent, ProjectAbility
- Living in the Magic Garden, Cafe Gandolfi, Merchant City Glasgow
- Freed Spirit : The Paintings of Maria Spadoni (1928 – 2014) RGI
- Series of Creative Writing Masterclasses
- Mind and Draw Live Music and Poetry Art Sessions at WEvolution
- Have A Go – Calligraphy at The Mitchell Library
- Some things want to run V/DA | Sonic Séance: The Gathering CCA
- Anderson Gerard Exhibition at Offshore Cafe Glasgow