Stand in Solidarity with the Stansted 15
2 February, 2019 – 7 p.m.
The Rum Shack, 657 – 659 Pollokshaws Rd, Glasgow G41 2AB
‘We’re throwing a wee party to show that we stand passionately and steadfast behind the #Stansted15 ahead of their court date. We will be using the money raised to help with their legal fees. Here’s what’s happening: ‘
AN EXCLUSIVE FILM SCREENING OF STANSTED 15: THE TRIAL
This 20 minute film by activist and film-maker Sue Clayton follows the trial of the 15, and their responses to the eventual verdict. Featuring interviews with the 15, their lawyers, and supporters from various organisations, its the perfect film to catch if you know a little but want to learn more about this historic case.
JOLLY ABACUS AND THE POSITIVE EXPERIENCE: Jolly Abacus is someone to see before you die. A powerful lyricist with a stage-stomping charisma that has only been going from strength to strength in the past year.
PETER CAT: A snappily-dressed and smooth-voiced Govanhill group, who sound like Sinatra but dance like Prince. Expect jingly, ear-wormy hooks from brainchild Graham Gillespie, and probably some great suits.
COP GRAVEYARD: to be honest, just perfect music. You definitely don’t want to miss this.
We are truly lucky to have one of the Stansted 15 all the way up from London to speak about the ongoing UK wide campaign, and what we in Glasgow can do to help.
A big thank you to Julia Knie, Inès Gradot and Marie Leguedois, who collectively made this beautiful poster. ♥
**DJ UNTIL 1AM, DETAILS TO BE ANNOUNCED**
**£5 UNWAGED, £7 WAGED, £10 SOLIDARITY PRICE**
**NO-ONE TURNED AWAY DUE TO LACK OF FUNDS**
SEE YA THERE! X
The Stansted 15 are a group of 15 activists who successfully stopped a charter flight forcefully removing over 60 migrants, trying to take them to places where they may of faced destitution, violence and even death. A lot of the people were also ripped from their families, including one man from his newborn baby. The nature of the government’s ‘hostile environment’ is absolutely barbaric, with many people being bundled into vans in dawn raids and packed on to these flights taking them away. The 15 managed to stop one of these flights, using non-violent direct action methods. Nobody was hurt, and in this process they protected the lives of other human beings. Unfathomably, they have been charged with terrorism offences, the first time this has ever happened in the UK to people engaged in non-violent direct action activity. Their court date is in early February, where they could be sentenced with years in prison or even life imprisonment. This sentencing is a frightening glimpse of what could happen more and more in the future if we accept this ruling. It is a direct attack on our right to protest, and a shameful and complete disregard for the lives of people seeking asylum in this country. There are solidarity campaigns popping up all over the UK, and we are the one in Glasgow. We want to show as much solidarity to the 15 as possible, and are part of a mass campaign that is happening all over the UK.
This section: Events, Fairs, Festivals and Fundraisers
Filed under: Events, Fairs, Festivals and Fundraisers
- First events announced for Glasgow Film Festival 2020
- Carols in the Garden, Wilton Street, Glasgow West End
- Paisley Book Festival 2020
- CinemaAttic – Catalan Film Festival CCA
- Light Up Maryhill
- G20 and The Children’s Wood Christmas Fair
- Wedding Showcase at Cottiers
- Difference by Design Arts and Crafts Fair, Websters
- Christmas Fayre House for an Art Lover, Glasgow
- Art on the Exchange Glasgow
- Winter Wonderland Christmas Street Party Ashton Lane
- Book Week Scotland 2019: Kerry Hudson
- Spot The Signs Renfrewshire
- The Greatest Hits, Mental Health Fundraiser
- Befriending Food Experience Celebrate St Andrew’s Day
- Artists Moving Image Festival The Tramway
- UK Jewish Film Festival 2019 at GFT Glasgow
- Havana Film Festival 2019
- Christmas Tree Light Switch On & Street Market 2019 Glasgow West End
- Mary Irvine: Book Week Scotland 2029 – Events in West Dunbartonshire