Scottish PEN’s Writers in Exile
Monday ’24 June, 2019, 6.30 p.m. – 8.00 p.m.
The Project Café, 134 Renfrew Street, Glasgow G3 6ST
What does home look like when you are writing far away, unable to return?
As part of the Refugee Festival Scotland, Scottish PEN’s Writers In Exile committee will bring together a range of exiled writers, or those writing far from home to discuss how distance, the inability to return and living in the UK has influenced their writing and their lives. As part of this we will also speak to journalists who now live in Scotland following threats to them or others for speaking out and speaking up. Chaired by Liz Niven, the chair of the Writers In Exile Committee, this will be a frank and open discussion looking at how free expression can transcend national borders, the reasons for exile and what home looks like, irrespective of how far from it you now are.
The event will also feature a series of readings of poetry and short fiction from PENning, the Writers in Exile Committee’s biannual online journal, presenting work by Scottish PEN members alongside writing from people living in Scotland who are from other parts of the world.
‘Please join us as we reimagine home and stand in solidarity with those forced into exile for speaking up’
This section: Books, Talks, Poetry and Creative Writing Events
Filed under: Books, Talks, Poetry and Creative Writing Events
- Poetry Launch Party – Jim Ferguson and Kirsty Taylor
- Lin Anderson on Bloody Scotland 2021
- Bernard Maclaverty Creative Conversations
- Creative Conversations, University of Glasgow
- Autumn Creative Writing Courses – Dr Tawnya Selene Renelle
- Magi Gibson – Audacious Women Festival
- Walking and Writing in the Botanics with Gerry Loose
- Walking and Writing with Lesley O’Brien, Glasgow Green
- Balloch Open Mic returns to Balloch House Hotel
- Poets’ Time, Book Launch
- Book Festival – Govanhill International Festival 2021
- ‘There’s a Problem with Dad’ by Carlos Alba
- The Girl, The Crow, The Writer And The Fighter – Debut Novel by George Paterson
- Govanhill International Festival 2021
- Scribblers Union Digital Gig Series
- Bloody Scotland – Crime Debut of the Year 2021
- Brian Whittingham – Writing Walks in Kelvingrove
- Three Lockdown Poets at Avant Garde
- Independent Bookshop Week 2021
- Tell it slant, Glasgow: Book Launch: A Bird Is Not A Stone.