Scottish PEN’s Writers in Exile
Monday ’24 June, 2019, 6.30 p.m. – 8.00 p.m.
The Project Café, 134 Renfrew Street, Glasgow G3 6ST
What does home look like when you are writing far away, unable to return?
As part of the Refugee Festival Scotland, Scottish PEN’s Writers In Exile committee will bring together a range of exiled writers, or those writing far from home to discuss how distance, the inability to return and living in the UK has influenced their writing and their lives. As part of this we will also speak to journalists who now live in Scotland following threats to them or others for speaking out and speaking up. Chaired by Liz Niven, the chair of the Writers In Exile Committee, this will be a frank and open discussion looking at how free expression can transcend national borders, the reasons for exile and what home looks like, irrespective of how far from it you now are.
The event will also feature a series of readings of poetry and short fiction from PENning, the Writers in Exile Committee’s biannual online journal, presenting work by Scottish PEN members alongside writing from people living in Scotland who are from other parts of the world.
‘Please join us as we reimagine home and stand in solidarity with those forced into exile for speaking up’
This section: Books, Talks, Poetry Events
Filed under: Books, Talks, Poetry Events
- Poor Wurld by Jim Ferguson – Book Launch Party
- Evening of Stories and Songs with Kirstin Innes and Outi Smith
- Aye Write 2020: Memoirs and Confessions – Justified Sinners Speakeasy
- Books at the Botanics
- Creative Conversations: Niall O’Gallagher
- It’s Time To Talk About Mental Health – Part Two
- Aye Write:Claudia Hammond, The Art of Rest
- Aye Write: Andrew Greig and Chris Agee
- Paisley Book Festival: Jenny’s Well Press presents: Writers and Rebellion
- Aye Write: Stewart Ennis and Okechuwu Nzelu
- Rootsy Rammy
- The Muse at the Playhouse with Linda Jaxson
- More Than Words – Poetry Night with Imogen Stirling
- Lin Anderson at Weegie Wednesday
- Campire Club Rousing Rebels, Paisley
- Paisley Book Festival: Opening Night: Radical Renfrewshire
- What’s This Script with Jenny Lindsay, Paisley Book Festival
- Poets in the Library – Paisley Book Festival
- 365: Stories and Music Paisley Book Festival
- Nicky Melville: Poet and Artist at Creative Conversations