Queerness in 1980s Glasgow – Douglas Stuart
16 November, 2020, 6 p.m.
Creative Conversations University of Glasgow
About this Event
Douglas Stuart is a Scottish – American author. His debut novel, Shuggie Bain, is shortlisted for the 2020 Booker Prize (winner tba 19th November). It is to be translated into eleven languages.
He wrote Shuggie Bain over a ten year period and is currently at work on his second novel, Loch Awe.
His short stories, Found Wanting, and The Englishman, were published in The New Yorker magazine. His essay, Poverty, Anxiety, and Gender in Scottish Working-Class Literature was published by Lit Hub.
Born and raised in Glasgow, he has an MA from the Royal College of Art in London, and since 2000 he has lived and worked in New York City.
Douglas will be in conversation with Gaar Adams, a writer and Ph.D. Candidate at the University of Glasgow. This event will be held on Zoom; attendees must register and will be sent a link to the event prior to the meeting.
Join the University of Glasgow Creative Writing Programme for this very special event featuring one of Scotland’s most celebrated new literary voices.
Filed under: Books, Talks, Poetry and Creative Writing Events, Events, Fairs, Festivals and Fundraisers, Free Events, What's On Glasgow West End: cinema, clubs, theatre, music, events, festivals, community and more, Zoom and online events
- Book Launch: Weird Pleasure by Jim Ferguson
- Damian Barr, Creative Conversations
- Jasmine Boutique – Stay at Home Service
- Echo GFT At Home
- David Attenborough ‘A Life On Our Planet’ film screening
- Creative Conversations: Anuradha Roy
- Creative Activism: 20th Anniversary of Scotland’s Repeal of Section 28
- Arracht – Glasgow Film Theatre at Home
- The Long Walk – GFT A Home
- Africa in Motion 2020
- Cambridge Literary Festival – Winter Festival Online
- French Film Festival 2020 – Online
- Big Book Week Scotland Quiz 2020
- P.M. Freestone at Creative Conversations
- Book Week Scotland 2020
- Real Bread Bakers – Screening and Discussion
- Book Week Scotland 2020: Glasgow Libraries
- Creative Conversations: Sandy NicDhòmhnaill Jones
- I Like Your Hat – book launch with Magi Gibson
- Scottish Writers Centre: Double Book Launch Leela Soma and Allan Martin