Bob Law: North Pollok Walk, Glasgow
An Unusual Walk
One recent walk I started at the Silverburn Shopping Centre in the middle of Pollok, which may seem a strange place to start a country walk fbut Pollok is full of surprises. It is very green, having once been part of the much larger Pollok estate grounds, a small section of which is now known as Pollok Country Park.
You can also start from Crookston Railway Station if you prefer to use public transport. Once the danger of Covid 19 has ended, this is the best way to start this circular walk of several hours duration.
Being a circular excursion from Silverburn Shopping Centre you quickly enter Househill Park, seen in my previous post, which is only five minutes walk away situated beside Barrhead Road. A very pleasant walk follows to the Hurlet, either on quiet tarmac paths or simply across grass meadows surrounded by trees on the right bank of the Levern Water.
Using this broad green ribbon of open parkland then continue along a pavement beside Hurlet Road (A726) leading into Paisley. Before you enter the town turn right down Ben Nevis Road, into a small upmarket housing estate.
At the end of this road you return to pleasant rural scenery and a path/ cycle track beside the White Cart Water. At this point this is a broad river surrounded by beautiful landscapes, pleasing views unfold, looking across scattered farms and gently rolling fields.
This is followed either to Crookston Railway Station or a further detour into the small but pretty Rosshall Park. Leverndale (now an upmarket development of flats in the old hospital buildings) and the nearby Crookston Castle can also be added to this walk.
Once it’s open again, post Covid, the views from the roof of the castle, via a vertical ladder, are impressive. Once part of Lord Darnley and Mary, Queen of Scots’ estate the view is mostly one of extensive deciduous forests and open meadow stretching to the far horizon. Very unusual considering you are still within a large city environment.
This section: Bob Law: photographer, walker and writer, Pat's Home Page Blog
- Damian Barr, Creative Conversations
- Jasmine Boutique – Stay at Home Service
- David Attenborough ‘A Life On Our Planet’ film screening
- Mother India Cafe & Open for Takeaway and Uber Eats
- French Film Festival 2020 – Online
- Book Week Scotland 2020
- I Like Your Hat – book launch with Magi Gibson
- Hand Made Guitars – Glasgow
- Glasgow Film Festival 2021
- Bob Law: North Pollok Walk, Glasgow
- Creative Conversations: Elizabeth Reeder
- Remembering Alasdair Gray / Paradise
- Welcome to Hgff20 with Co-Directors Eirene Houston and Hugo Rivalt
- Scotland’s Charity Air Ambulance – Online Presentations
- Creative Conversations: Daisy Lafarge
- Window Wanderland – Windows of Wonder Glasgow
- Ghost Stories from Around the World
- Glasgow Science Centre Spooktacular 2020
- ‘Words From Battlefield’ – Book Launch
- Reimagining Our Economy – Screening Woodlands Community