Professor J. Edward Chamberlin National Poetry Day University of Glasgow
Come Back To Me My Language: Poetry and the West Indies
Wednesday 2 October, 2019 – 6 p.m.
Yudowitz Room, Woolfson Medical Building
To celebrate National Poetry Day, the University of Glasgow Creative Writing Programme in association with the Scottish Poetry Library are delighted to present this very special event with Professor J. Edward Chamberlin introduced by Colin Herd. Now also including an appearance and short reading by Lorna Goodison, Poet Laureate of Jamaica.
J. Edward Chamberlin was educated at the universities of British Columbia, Oxford and Toronto. He is now University Professor Emeritus of English and Comparative Literature at the University of Toronto, and lectures widely on literary, historical and cultural issues. His books include Ripe Was the Drowsy Hour: The Age of Oscar Wilde; Come Back To Me My Language: Poetry and the West Indies; If This Is Your Land, Where Are Your Stories? Finding Common Ground; Horse: How the Horse Has Shaped Civilizations; Island: How Islands Transform the World; and The Banker and the Blackfoot: An Untold Story of Friendship, Trust and Broken Promises; and he co-edited Or Words To That Effect: Orality and the Writing of Literary History. He is an Officer of the Order of Canada and a Fellow of the Royal Society of Canada, and lives with his wife, Lorna Goodison, in Halfmoon Bay, British Columbia.
Come Back To My My Language: Poetry and the West Indies has just been re-published (with a new Afterword) this spring by Peepal Tree Press, 25 years after its first publication in the United States, Canada and Jamaica.
The event will be followed by a Drinks Reception.
Free Event – Registration
Yudowitz Room, Woolfson Medical Building, University of Glasgow, University Avenue, Glasgow G128QQ
This section: Books, Talks, Poetry Events
Filed under: Books, Talks, Poetry Events
- International Women’s Day – #EachforEqual: What Difference Does a Decade Make?
- Roots Festival – An Evening with Wullie, George and Friends
- Poor Wurld by Jim Ferguson – Book Launch Party
- Evening of Stories and Songs with Kirstin Innes and Outi Smith
- Aye Write 2020: Memoirs and Confessions – Justified Sinners Speakeasy
- Books at the Botanics
- Creative Conversations: Niall O’Gallagher
- It’s Time To Talk About Mental Health – Part Two
- Aye Write:Claudia Hammond, The Art of Rest
- Aye Write: Andrew Greig and Chris Agee
- Paisley Book Festival: Jenny’s Well Press presents: Writers and Rebellion
- Aye Write: Stewart Ennis and Okechuwu Nzelu
- Rootsy Rammy
- The Muse at the Playhouse with Linda Jaxson
- More Than Words – Poetry Night with Imogen Stirling
- Lin Anderson at Weegie Wednesday
- Campire Club Rousing Rebels, Paisley
- Paisley Book Festival: Opening Night: Radical Renfrewshire
- What’s This Script with Jenny Lindsay, Paisley Book Festival
- Poets in the Library – Paisley Book Festival