Memories of Millport Isle of Cumbrae in the 1920s and 1930s, Video History Scotland
How many of us share memories of a day trip to Millport or a family holiday on the beautiful Isle of Cumbrae. Happy days spent cycling around the island, relaxing or playing on the sands at Kames Bay or having our photograph taken beside the “crocodile rock”.
Extraordinary archive footage of Millport (Isle of Cumbrae) the ‘Jewel in the Clyde’ was uncovered after more than 70 years in storage. These films have been carefully edited and restored not only to preserve, but also to share with you, these historical visual records of the 1920’s and 1930’s.
During the 20th century Millport became a favourite tourist destination for thousands of holiday makers. Transport was provided by steam train and the magnificent paddle steamers sailing from all the Clyde coast towns to provide the popular ‘doon the water’ experience.
Our unique DVD, Memories of Millport 1920’s and 1930’s (Part 1 of 2), allows you to step back in time to examine and observe how holiday makers and visitors relaxed and enjoyed themselves on Millport during this era – when King George V was on the throne and the Prime Minister was David Lloyd George.
Memories of Millport 1920’s and 1930’s (Part 1 of 2) is one of a unique series of DVDs from Video History Scotland that captures and provides a rare window into our rich Scottish history and heritage.
Other DVDs in this series include; Memories of Millport Part 2 1930’s-1980’s, Rothesay in the Glorious 1950’s, Memories of Rothesay Isle of Bute, Memories of Dunoon, Memories of the Isle of Arran, , Scenes of Old Helensburgh
This section: Best In The West
Filed under: Best In The West
- Stevenson Jewellers Glasgow West End
- West End Festival 2016: The Moment Keeper, Thistle Gallery, Jackie and Jilly Henderson, 4 – 19 June
- Surf and Turf Exhibition, Thistle Gallery from Saturday April, 23rd 2016.
- Dear Green Place – Exhibition at the Thistle Gallery, Saturday. March 19th– Sunday, April 3rd, 2016
- Bricks 4 Kidz, After school classes St Silas Woodlands
- The Face on the Moon, The Vale, 26 September, 2015.
- Shopping in Glasgow: Vintage Guru Byres Road
- Blair and Sheridan, Gin and Sapphires Event, Saturday 22 August, 2015
- Easter Workshops for Children at Bricks 4 Kidz
- Video History Scotland: DVD Memories of Dumbarton 1940 – 1975
- Bricks 4 Kidz– Children’s Workshops February Half-term 2015
- The Observatory, Nancy Smillie Studio
- Memories of Millport Isle of Cumbrae in the 1920s and 1930s, Video History Scotland
- Clyde Steamer Memories Part 1 DVD Video History Scotland
- Glasgow Shopping: Currie and Quirk Opticians, Byres Road, G12