Melting Pot – a poem by Leela Soma
Baltimore, Ferguson and other police brutality makes the headlines, but in Buffalo, NY they see it differently.
The colours of the mosaic glimmer in the sun
Blue pieces against the bright reds and oranges,
A tiled beauty that catches the eye, to look again
The platter enhances the tasty food on offer
A table laden with ethnic bites, a tempting fare.
Smiles from the crowd, a melting pot of races
Or is it still a salad bowl, together and apart?
The German, Irish, Polish, Italian and English
Mix with alacrity with African American, Arab
Indian, Chinese, a veritable United Nations.
Ancestry, history, fused together with work and toil
New beginnings for the incoming young and old
Forming a new city, forging interests, diversity at its best,
While retaining their roots, culture, language and heritage
A commingling, heading towards a harmonious future.
- Three Lockdown Poets at Avant Garde
- Independent Bookshop Week 2021
- Tell it slant, Glasgow: Book Launch: A Bird Is Not A Stone.
- Red Squirrel Press – Launch of Three Publications
- #StreamMyStory Children’s Online Events Summer 2021
- Women’s Library – In Conversation with Paria Goodarzi
- Bloody Scotland 2021 McIlvanney Prize Long List Announced
- The Owner of the Sea – Richard Price readings and discussion
- Bernard MacLaverty: Glasgow Writer
- Graeme Macrae Burnet – Glasgow Writer
- Glasgow Writers: Theresa Talbot
- Scottish Books Long Weekend
- Meet the Poet: Marcus Slease & Colin Herd
- Balloch Open Mic on Zoom
- Creative Conversations: David Robertson
- Aye Write on Demand 2021
- Before Now – Memoir of a Toerag by Moira McPartlin
- Aye Write 2021 – Celebrating 40 Years of Lanark
- Aye Write A Renewable Energy Revolution
- Aye Write 2021 – How To Stop Fascism, Paul Mason