Meet the Makers at The Nancy Smillie Shop review by Pat Byrne
What a great idea. I went along to the novel Meet the Makers event at Nancy Smillie’s on 30 October, 2022. The shop was busy, looked wonderful and what a treat to meet some of the designers behind the fabulous products on display.
It’s always lovely to see Basia Palka, busy welcoming folk with a smile and a glass of Prosecco. Basia invariably ensures everything ticks along very smoothly at Nancy Smillie’s.
I have long been a fan of Genna Miller’s gorgeous jewellery so was delighted to catch up with her and admire more of her wonderful designs. Genna’s jewellery is incredibly versatile and never dates. Her lovely heart earrings were a big hit with my niece, Lauren, in Toronto. I have my eye on a dramatic silver pendant .
I love Lindsay McDowall’s new colour range and shapes.. My turquoise half moon dangling earrings are among my most worn jewellery pieces but I really fancy some of her new designs. It would be hard to decide between the purple or green earrings and the yellow pendant with the disc is a cracker.
Chris Lewis, is an award winning Scottish designer whose range of exquisite silver jewellery has been an international success. He was very happy to explain about the inspiration behind his beautiful silver jewellery including the dramatic necklace based on a pebble he found on the beach at Broughty Ferry.
Nancy Smillie’s own designs are available to buy in the shop including art work, cards and her amazing range of delightful ceramics – the perfect gift for people who love beautiful design.
Another popular choice for your home and gifts are the vivid prints by this local artist
It was a very enjoyable, well attended event, with a smashing atmosphere. Apart from meeting the designers and picking up some Christmas gifts, it’s always great to have a chat with the staff at Nancy’s that I’ve got to know over the years. Efficient, attractive, pleasant and happy to offer advice – some are more camera shy than others – but Angela, Elaine, Yoshima and, of course, Basia, helped make the event a huge success. They are also responsible for some of the stunning display.
What a team!!
Pat Byrne, 31 October, 2022
This section: Christmas Shopping in Glasgow, Designer Jewellery Glasgow, Gifts, Pat's Home Page Blog, Shopping
- The Nancy Smillie Shop – Glasgow West End
- Artists’ Christmas Fayre
- Mother India – Glasgow
- Global Climate Change in September and October 2023
- Glasgow Film Festival – Year of Celebration
- Arthur’s Christmas Tale in aid of Shelter Scotland
- Christmas Concert, Child Bereavement, Cottiers
- Without Verona Walls at Websters
- Winter Wonderland Ashton Lane 2023
- Wasps Winter Market 2023
- Stage and Screen Exhibition at The Hunterian
- Stevenson Jewellers Glasgow West End
- Scottish Women’s Convention – STEMinism
- Reclaim the River, Poetry and Music
- The Carlton Jug Band
- Voicebeat 21st Anniversary Concert
- Spooky Walk at Glasgow Green
- Panopticon Halloween Market
- Halloween Evening Market – The Barras
- Clann An Drumma, St Andrews Night, Cottiers