Maya Chowdhry, Creative Conversations
Monday 8 October, 2018, 1 p.m. – 2 p.m.
University Chapel, West Quadrangle, Main Building Gilmorehill Campus, University of Glasgow, Glasgow G12 8QQ
POET AND TRANSMEDIA WRITER MAYA CHOWDHRY
Maya Chowdhry’s debut poetry collection was The Seamstress and the Global Garment and her most recent is Fossil (Peepal Tree Press). She’s also published in many anthologies, including Out of Bounds (Bloodaxe) and magazines such as Ambit. She’s won many accolades for her work, including the Cardiff International Poetry Competition.Tales from the Towpath, commissioned by Manchester Literature Festival, was shortlisted for the 2014 New Media Writing Prize.
Maya’s writing is infused with and influenced by her transmedia work for radio, film and theatre. Her previous poetry collection is The Seamstress and the Global Garment. She’s also published in many anthologies, including Out of Bounds (Bloodaxe) and Red (Peepal Tree Press), as well as magazines such as Ambit.
She’s won many accolades for her work, including the Cardiff International Poetry Competition. Her collaborative immersive story experience, Tales from the Towpath at Manchester Literature Festival was shortlisted for the 2014 New Media Writing Prize, and her recent digital poetic work Ripple was shortlisted for the 2015 Dot Award.
She regularly performs her poetry at festivals and events such as ‘Poetic Places’ at The British Library.
Maya worked for Sheffield Film Co-op in the 80s, wrote theatre for young people in the 90s, crossing into digital work in 2000 when she received an Arts Council Year of the Artist Award for destinyNation. Her current work explores seed sovereignty and world water scarcity utilising film, text, animation, photography, augmented reality and the web. She is currently working for Lets Go as a Digital Artist and making interactive theatre.
As part of the on-going Creative Conversation speaker series, poet and transmedia artist Maya Chowdhry comes to campus to chat about her writing. Bring your lunch and burning questions!
Sponsored by the Ferguson Bequest and programmed by Creative Writing at University of Glasgow.
- The Acoustic Night Special Nice ‘n’ Sleazy
- The World I Fell Out Of – Melanie Reid
- Vivian French and The Giant’s Tea Party
- COP26 Global Event In Glasgow – Seeks Volunteers
- Fright Fest Glasgow Film Festival Online 2021
- Believe in Scotland Virtual Burns Supper
- A Virtual Burns Night Edinburgh Castle
- Burns Celebration Online Tannahill Centre
- Janey Godley’s Big Burns Supper Online
- Paisley Book Festival 2021 – Online
- Bemis – Celtic Connections in the Community
- Opening Celebration Concert Celtic Connections Online 2021
- Glasgow Film Festival 2021 – Programme Announced
- Creative Conversations: Oyinkan Braithwaite
- Multi-talented and Versatile – Laura Turnbull Fyfe
- Sav Aiello Yoga Savvy Classes
- Online Dance Club LGBTI Plus Elders – National Theatre of Scotland
- Opening Celebration Concert – Celtic Connections 2021 Online
- Announcement Full Programme Celtic Connections Online Festival 2021
- Balloch Open Mic – Vale Lad ‘Done Good’ – again