King Keich at OranMor by Louise Welsh review by Pat Byrne
King Keigh, A Play, A Pie and A Pint
Directed by Paul Brotherstone
Beyond absurd, King Keich brought mayhem to the stage at Play, Pie and Pint, OranMor.
We meet the flamboyant Keich, game-show host (Grant O’Rourke) as he prepares for his ‘Open the Box’ television show. When he boasts of the large audience his show attracts, the glamorous and manipulative Mrs Keich, played by Meghan Tyler, feeds his greed and sense of entitlement as she taunts the egomaniac Keich. What a pair of outrageous horrors.
Alasdair Hankinson is kept particularly busy playing a variety of roles including assistant on the game show, an endangered bear and the puny King, whom Keich succeeds in overthrowing.
The three members of cast are all excellent, never flagging in Louise Welsh’s relentless full on farce. Quite how the writer concocted, and Grant O’Rourke delivered, those lengthy, hilarious and thought-provoking monologues, I do not know.
Amidst all the laughter is a tale of the insatiable greed and chaos recognisable in right wing politicians today – both sides of the pond. We got the message loud and clear as we laughed our heads off at the Punch and Judy violence and amorality. It’s a fun filled play despite the fact that Louise Welsh brings to it a sense of the macabre, a skill she has honed to perfection in her Plague Times Trilogy.
Guess it’s a new genre: ‘extra macabre and silly satire’. Quite an achievement.
Pat Byrne, October, 2018
This section: What's on in Glasgow: Theatre and Comedy
Filed under: What's on in Glasgow: Theatre and Comedy
- Panto-Crime, Murder Mystery at Websters with Dinner & The Logans
- Branagh Theatre Live – A Winter’s Tale GFT
- Maria Doyle Kennedy, Cottiers
- A Lad in Maryhill, Pantomime, Maryhill 2019
- The Monster and Mary Shelley, Paisley Arts Centre
- Story – Party True Dating Stories, Cottiers
- Fright Night at Websters Theatre
- The Cooncil, Websters Theatre
- The Drift at The Tron
- Poets Tony Walsh and Stephen James Smith at Cottiers
- Cottiers – Bar, Restaurant, Theatre, Glasgow West End
- Addicted The Musical Websters Theatre Glasgow
- The Wedding Planner, OranMor
- Script to Stage Renfrewshire
- The Stornoway Way Cottiers Theatre
- Wilkie’s World, Websters Theatre
- Smalltown – Pantheon at Websters
- Farmer Michael and Kathleen at Cottiers
- Glasgow R&B Society: Rab Noakes & Fraser Speirs Cottiers
- Mary Irvine’s Blog: Bruce Biddolph Outstanding as ‘The Inquisitor’