Hockey Club for Men and Women – Glasgow West End
Launched November 2009
Broomhill Hockey Club launches Hockey Team for Guys & Gals 18-35 Yr Olds
Both men’s and women’s sections train every Thursday at Windyedge Pitch, just off Anniesland Road
7.30pm – 9pm.
The first half hour is dedicated to fitness with the last hour focused on skills and match training.
The club has the full support of “Scottish Hockey” and “Glasgow Culture & Sport”.
We set up this club because so many people love playing team sports and get a lot out of this sport but are put off playing for the big hockey clubs as they can often be unwelcoming, not very friendly and cliques! We are going to change all of that at our club with all new members in the future being assigned a “buddy” in the club to look after them for the first few weeks who will partner them at drills and be a contact for information.
We aim to be known as the sociable friendly club that plays to a high and competitive standard, welcoming players of all abilities.
Not only do we have an excellent couple of coaches but we also have “PJ Champs” in Byres supporting us as our honourary club house. Everyone in the club will receive a personalised membership card that entitles you to discounts in this bar off food and drink at all times. It may not the most glamourous chic bar in Glasgow but it is perfect for our club house as it is on Byres Road, near Kelvinhall subway station, has sky sports screens EVERYWHERE, pool tables, cheap drinks and food and no big queues at the bar on a Saturday night. PJ Champs will be used for all post match socials with food provided, fund raising events for the club together with meeting places for the committee (when appointed) so please treat this as your clubhouse as kits will be going on the wall so as do all the bar staff know about the club.
Our very own website shall be going live in January 2010 too so all comments/suggestions welcome.
Lastly, our kit (Nike) will be designed especially for Broomhill Hockey Club with the colours of the mens section as dark blue, light blue and white while the ladies section shall be dark blue, light blue, white with a pink trim. These are the colours of the existing Broomhill Sports Club.
The future will see the club’s own pitches built as well as a clubhouse but that is at least a year down the line.
At training all you will need to bring is your hockey stick and shin guards, coming dressed in sports kit. The sessions are £5 a week until Christmas.
Any questions just email to firstname.lastname@example.org
www.scottish-hockey.org.uk – the photograph is from the scottish hockey website
Tips and advice on Hockey Training by Jo Anderson: www.sport-fitness-advisor.com/hockey-training.html
‘Jo Anderson lives in Australia but was originally from California, where she was a sports coach and fitness instructor for more than 10 years. Her clientele includes many high performing athletes in a variety of competitive sports. She writes regularly for sports and fitness related blogs including Sports Fitness Advisor, The Huffington Post and The Guardian.’
This section: Clubs in Glasgow, Health and Fitness, Sport, Walks, Cycling in Glasgow
- Halloween 2021 – Spooktacular Walk, Glasgow Green
- Volunteer Led Bike Ride
- Glasgow Fancy Women Bike Ride
- Arlington @150 – Arlington Baths Club Celebrating 150 Years
- Football Themed Movie Night at Glasgow Green EURO 2020 Fanzone
- Slow Nature Walk, Woodlands Community
- Greenpeace – Kelvin Way’s Low-Traffic Neighbourhood
- How to Manage Hip and Knee Pain
- Woodlands Community Family Cycling Bike Seat and Trailer Taster
- A Very Quiet Street – exploring Glasgow’s history with Zoe Strachan and Louise Welsh
- Bike Maintenance Class Woodlands Community
- Sleep Workshops Woodlands Community
- Nurture through Nature – one to one support Woodlands Community
- New Life Gym, Maryhill, Glasgow
- International Women’s Day Glasgow 2020 – Bike for Good
- It’s Time To Talk About Mental Health – Part Two
- Switch Off – Centre for Confidence and Wellbeing
- The Big Talk, Men and Mental Health at The Ice Box
- Soft Play Area and Clip and Climb Kelvin Hall
- Bowled Over, Partickhill Bowling and Community Club