High Heels and Horse Hair present TRANSPLANTED 4 May, 2016 The Drake Bar
4 May, 2016 7.30 p.m.
The Drake Bar
“High Heels and Horse Hair” are Alice Rickards – Violin, and Sonia Cromarty – Cello.
TRANSPLANTED celebrates the rich diversity of Scotland’s plant life and its music. In 1755 Scottish Baroque composer James’ Oswald published ‘Airs for the Seasons’, a remarkable compendium of 96 duos for violin and cello, each depicting a different plant or flower and written on a single side of paper. Inspired by these, and using the same criteria, 8 of Scotland’s leading composers have written new miniatures exploring native plants and their many uses in society over the centuries.
This evocative recital brings the new works to life, alongside a selection of Oswald’s Airs. Set against a stunning backdrop of photographic plant portraits by Laurie Campbell.
Eight of Scotland’s contemporary composers feature; David Fennessy, Martin Kershaw, Stuart MacRae, Eddie McGuire, Chris Stout, Hanna Tuulikki, David Ward and Judith Weir.
“I have found my own interactions with TRANSPLANTED to be unexpectedly thought-provoking, and it’s been energy-giving to have worked directly with the performers through all stages of the commissioning and composing process.” Judith Weir
The Drake Bar
1 Lynedoch Street, Glasgow G3 6EF
- Online Quiz Night with Duglus T Stewart
- Scenes for Survival Courier Culture
- G20 Festival Safe Play for Children Under 11
- Murder at the Mela by Leela Soma
- Bloody Scotland 2020 – Debut Shortlist and McIlvanney Prize Longlist
- Summer Art Sessions Woodlands Community
- Outdoor Activities Woodlands Community
- Sonnet Youth Social Club
- Climate Change The Facts David Attenborough Savvy Film
- Food Truck and Craft Beer Festival Rouken Glen
- Drive In Movies Paisley
- Anna (Young Adults Book) by Laura Guthrie
- Edinburgh Film Festival At Home
- A Northern Extravaganza with Shetlandic Poets Christie Williamson and Roseann Watt
- Jasmine Boutique – Stay at Home Service
- World Refugee Day Saturday 20 June, 2020
- Sunset Sessions with Alan Frew
- Joan of Arc Glasgow Film Theatre – Virtual Cinema
- French Film Festival UK November – December 2020
- Nurture through Nature – one to one support Woodlands Community