Glasgow Libraries Christmas Reading Challenge for Kids
2 December, 2019 – 4 January, 2020
Encouraging young readers to get involved in Glasgow Libraries’ Festive Reading Tradition with this year’s Christmas Reading Challenge.
Young readers aged 0-12 are being challenged to read three library books over the festive period. Enjoy books and discover wonderful new worlds during the dark winter nights.
Little book worms keen to take up the Christmas Reading Challenge are invited to head to any of the city’s 33 libraries from Monday, 2 December, 2019 and borrow three books of their choice.
Primary three pupils from Bankhead Primary School visited Knightswood Library in the north of the city to get in the Christmas spirit and select some favourite winter reads.
Andrew Olney, Head of Communities and Libraries at Glasgow Life, said: “This festive period, all 33 of the city’s libraries are inviting young Glaswegians to come in and get involved in this fantastic reading challenge.
“Nothing sparks young people’s imagination like Christmas does, and last year more than 1,000 children took part in the Christmas Reading Challenge. We hope this year’s challenge will inspire even more children city-wide to curl up with a tale of their choice and keep reading throughout the school holidays.”
The challenge aims to encourage children to visit their local library and benefit from the wonder of books throughout the holiday period.
Youngsters have a host of cracking Christmas reads to choose from and keep them reading all winter long. Much-loved authors including Julia Donaldson, Karine Polwart, Debi Gliori, Anthony Browne, David Walliam and Coo Clayton, to keep them reading all winter long.
To take part in this year’s Christmas Reading Challenge, which runs from 2 December – 4 January, young Glaswegians simply need to pick three books from their local library. Participants will earn certificates and will be entered into a special prize draw.
Head down to any of Glasgow’s 33 libraries to sign up for the Challenge. Visit www.glasgowlife.org.uk/libraries to find opening times at your local library throughout the festive season.
- Cambridge Literary Festival – Winter Festival Online
- Big Book Week Scotland Quiz 2020
- P.M. Freestone at Creative Conversations
- Book Week Scotland 2020
- Real Bread Bakers – Screening and Discussion
- Book Week Scotland 2020: Glasgow Libraries
- Creative Conversations: Sandy NicDhòmhnaill Jones
- I Like Your Hat – book launch with Magi Gibson
- Scottish Writers Centre: Double Book Launch Leela Soma and Allan Martin
- Poetry, Reading and Discussion
- Creative Conversations, University of Glasgow
- Queerness in 1980s Glasgow – Douglas Stuart
- Bloody Scotland: Michael Connelly and Ian Rankin
- New World, New Beginnings – Poetry Event Online
- Creative Conversations: Peter May
- Creative Conversations: Elizabeth Reeder
- Remembering Alasdair Gray / Paradise
- Landmarks: Hugh MacDiarmid’s Brownsbank
- ‘Everything Passes Everything Remains’ Chris Dolan, Book Launch
- The Wild West of Scotland