Glasgow Libraries Christmas Reading Challenge for Kids
2 December, 2019 – 4 January, 2020
Encouraging young readers to get involved in Glasgow Libraries’ Festive Reading Tradition with this year’s Christmas Reading Challenge.
Young readers aged 0-12 are being challenged to read three library books over the festive period. Enjoy books and discover wonderful new worlds during the dark winter nights.
Little book worms keen to take up the Christmas Reading Challenge are invited to head to any of the city’s 33 libraries from Monday, 2 December, 2019 and borrow three books of their choice.
Primary three pupils from Bankhead Primary School visited Knightswood Library in the north of the city to get in the Christmas spirit and select some favourite winter reads.
Andrew Olney, Head of Communities and Libraries at Glasgow Life, said: “This festive period, all 33 of the city’s libraries are inviting young Glaswegians to come in and get involved in this fantastic reading challenge.
“Nothing sparks young people’s imagination like Christmas does, and last year more than 1,000 children took part in the Christmas Reading Challenge. We hope this year’s challenge will inspire even more children city-wide to curl up with a tale of their choice and keep reading throughout the school holidays.”
The challenge aims to encourage children to visit their local library and benefit from the wonder of books throughout the holiday period.
Youngsters have a host of cracking Christmas reads to choose from and keep them reading all winter long. Much-loved authors including Julia Donaldson, Karine Polwart, Debi Gliori, Anthony Browne, David Walliam and Coo Clayton, to keep them reading all winter long.
To take part in this year’s Christmas Reading Challenge, which runs from 2 December – 4 January, young Glaswegians simply need to pick three books from their local library. Participants will earn certificates and will be entered into a special prize draw.
Head down to any of Glasgow’s 33 libraries to sign up for the Challenge. Visit www.glasgowlife.org.uk/libraries to find opening times at your local library throughout the festive season.
- Book Launch – Peter May: The Night Gate
- CLIC Sargent – World Book Day Fundraiser
- The Knitting Station by Kirsti Wishart – book launch
- Creative Conversations Don Paterson
- How Poets See The World – Paisley Book Festival 2021 review by Pat Byrne
- Andrew Painting & Jim Crumley: #Wee Nature Fest
- Mongrel: Donna Campbell debut poetry collection
- Rymour Books: Cultivating the Literary Arts
- International Mother Language Day 21 February 2021
- Glesga Banter: Celebration of Weegie Culture
- How Poets See The World – Paisley Book Festival Online 2021
- New Patterns for Paisley, Paisley Book Festival
- In Conversation with Dean Atta and gainAgain
- Breaking Boundaries: Main Reading Vahni Capildeo and Mark Waldron
- Weird Pleasure by Jim Ferguson review of the launch by Pat Byrne
- New Poetries VIII – Online Launches
- What It Means To Overcome – Paisley Film Festival
- Book Launch: The Stone in My Pocket by Matthew Keeley
- Creative Conversations: Scarlett Thomas
- The World I Fell Out Of – Melanie Reid