Glasgow Libraries Christmas Reading Challenge for Kids
2 December, 2019 – 4 January, 2020
Encouraging young readers to get involved in Glasgow Libraries’ Festive Reading Tradition with this year’s Christmas Reading Challenge.
Young readers aged 0-12 are being challenged to read three library books over the festive period. Enjoy books and discover wonderful new worlds during the dark winter nights.
Little book worms keen to take up the Christmas Reading Challenge are invited to head to any of the city’s 33 libraries from Monday, 2 December, 2019 and borrow three books of their choice.
Primary three pupils from Bankhead Primary School visited Knightswood Library in the north of the city to get in the Christmas spirit and select some favourite winter reads.
Andrew Olney, Head of Communities and Libraries at Glasgow Life, said: “This festive period, all 33 of the city’s libraries are inviting young Glaswegians to come in and get involved in this fantastic reading challenge.
“Nothing sparks young people’s imagination like Christmas does, and last year more than 1,000 children took part in the Christmas Reading Challenge. We hope this year’s challenge will inspire even more children city-wide to curl up with a tale of their choice and keep reading throughout the school holidays.”
The challenge aims to encourage children to visit their local library and benefit from the wonder of books throughout the holiday period.
Youngsters have a host of cracking Christmas reads to choose from and keep them reading all winter long. Much-loved authors including Julia Donaldson, Karine Polwart, Debi Gliori, Anthony Browne, David Walliam and Coo Clayton, to keep them reading all winter long.
To take part in this year’s Christmas Reading Challenge, which runs from 2 December – 4 January, young Glaswegians simply need to pick three books from their local library. Participants will earn certificates and will be entered into a special prize draw.
Head down to any of Glasgow’s 33 libraries to sign up for the Challenge. Visit www.glasgowlife.org.uk/libraries to find opening times at your local library throughout the festive season.
- Freddy Anderson – collected poems and prose book release
- Tidelines Book Festival 2020
- You’re Only Young Twice – Digital Doors Open Day 2020
- Fury by David Morley – Carcanet Press Online Book Launch
- The History of Scottish Pen – Online
- Creative Conversations: Jemma Neville
- Creative Conversations: Nicholson Baker
- Creative Conversations: Andrew O’Hagan
- Creative Conversations, University of Glasgow
- Kayus Bankole & Kei Miller: Edinburgh Book Festival
- Bloody Scotland 2020 – Online
- Glasgow Women’s Library Bold Types Writing Competition
- A Very Quiet Street – exploring Glasgow’s history with Zoe Strachan and Louise Welsh
- Edinburgh Book Festival: Richard Holloway
- Celebrating Ten Years of Woodlands Community Garden
- Hannah Lavery, Govanhill Book Festival
- Edinburgh Book Festival – Kirstin Innes: Who is Clio Campbell?
- Edinburgh Book Festival James Tait Black Prizes
- Stuart Cosgrove, Govanhill Book Festival
- Denise Mina, Govanhill Book Festival 2020