Glasgow International: Exhibition Aleksandra Domanovic, GOMA, 4 – 21st April, 2014
Date: 04 Apr – 21 Apr
Aleksandra Domanović’s work looks at the history and development of technology through a gender-conscious lens. Her work specifically focuses the point at which machine meets, interfaces and touches the human user.
In her first institutional solo exhibition in the UK, Domanović focuses on the figure of the lone female cosmonaut, exploring the marginalised representation of women within popular science fiction and time travel. Using the building’s position and architectural features, Domanović has re-contextualised the gallery as a time-less survival pod, inhabitable during the day. Outside of gallery opening hours the glowing sculptures can be viewed from the outside, creating a beacon to passers-by.
Domanović merges the stellar narrative with an abstracted history of the former tobacco merchant’s house, exploring its position as an erstwhile telephone exchange and connecting us with its female ‘computers’.
Commissioned by Glasgow International and supported by The Henry Moore Foundation.
- The Glasgow Guild Talks 2019
- Spanish Civil War Collections The Mitchell Library
- Sarah Kudirka Open Studio The Hidden Lane
- ‘Creatures as Natural Hunters’ Damian Henry Glasgow Print Studio
- Glasgow Museums – Great Big Heritage Bus Tour
- Spirit of Revolt, Show and Tell – Workers City, The Mitchell
- Glasgow Then and Now at The Mitchell Library
- Ilana Halperin: Minerals of New York, The Hunterian
- Linda McCartney Retrospective at Kelvingrove Art Gallery
- Glasgow School of Art Graduate Degree Show 2019
- Trees v Capitalism by Maggie Kelly at Woodland Community Workspace
- Govanhill: Portrait of a Community review Pat Byrne
- Young Talent, ProjectAbility
- Living in the Magic Garden, Cafe Gandolfi, Merchant City Glasgow
- Freed Spirit : The Paintings of Maria Spadoni (1928 – 2014) RGI
- Series of Creative Writing Masterclasses
- Mind and Draw Live Music and Poetry Art Sessions at WEvolution
- Have A Go – Calligraphy at The Mitchell Library
- Some things want to run V/DA | Sonic Séance: The Gathering CCA
- Anderson Gerard Exhibition at Offshore Cafe Glasgow