Khaled Hourani Exhibition Tour, 4 April – 18 May, 2014
Fri 4 April — Sun 18 May 2014
Related CCA Events
Sun 6 April 2014
The first retrospective of Palestinian artist Khaled Hourani (Hebron, 1965) brings together new and existing paintings, installations and conceptual work, ranging from the early 2000s until today.
Hourani’s work has had a vital influence in the growth and perception of contemporary art in and of Palestine and his artistic practice often responds to the surrealism and comic absurdity of current events. Hourani is mainly known for his efforts as a mediator in the arts; his own work is rarely shown although he continues to be an active artist.
Hourani is the co-founder of the International Academy of Art Palestine in Ramallah and the initiator of the 2011 Picasso in Palestine project that brought an original Picasso painting in the West Bank for the first time in history. The school borrowed and exhibited Picasso’s Buste de Femme, 1943, from the Van Abbemuseum in Eindhoven, The Netherlands, and debuted documentation of the project at dOCUMENTA (13) in 2012.
Hourani has curated and organised several exhibitions such as the young Artist of the Year Award in 2000 and 2002 for the A.M. Qattan Foundation. He was the curator of the Palestinian pavilion for São Paolo Biennale, Brazil and the 21st Alexandria Biennale, Egypt and served as an artistic advisor for Liminal Spaces in 2006. He writes critically in the field of art and is an active member and founder of a number of cultural and art institutions. Recently he was awarded the Leonore Annenberg Prize for Art and Social Change.
Part of Glasgow International Festival of Visual Art.
Khaled Hourani discusses his work as an artist, critic and curator at the ICA, London, on Fri 4 April, 1pm. More information…
Khaled Hourani will also open a solo show at Gallery One, Ramallah, from Wed 9 April – Thu 15 May. More information…
Centre for Contemporary Arts
350 Sauchiehall Street
Glasgow G2 3JD
- George Wylie Centenary Exhibition
- Glasgow Print Studio – Members’ Christmas Show 2021
- Art for Africa in Memory of Rony Bridges
- The Landing Hub – COP26 Fringe Event
- Christmas Commissions, Exhibition and Gifts Kelvin Art Studio & Gallery
- Palindrome: Cohen – Art Painting & Photography Exhibition
- Caroline Miller Art – Open Day
- Artivismo Pintando Murales Derribamos Muros – Digital Exhibition Launch
- The Pollution Pods – COP26 at Gartnavel
- RCC at COP26: Environmental Humanities Exhibition
- Cats Protection Jade Carrera Art Event
- Urban Potentials Exhibition Launch
- Art for Africa in memory of Rony Bridges
- Ghost Signs Glasgow Exhibition Tour
- Anna H. Geerdes – Borderline Exhibition
- Winnie Herbstein – Dampbusters at CCA
- Brian Whittingham – Writing Walks in Kelvingrove
- Lifting The Lid on Whistler at the Hunterian
- Willie Sutherland – Evolution of Wa at CCA
- Glasgow School of Art Digital Showcase 2021