A Glasgow Graduate from Syria – Summer 2016
This isn’t a story as such but a sharing of a pleasant and thought provoking event.
Today I met my friend Issi for a little catch up before the holidays. I’m a bit nosy and having had many years of close ties with the University of Glasgow – as a mature, more mature and getting-on-a-bit student – I find it hard to hold back from asking questions, when I see someone in the West End dressed in a kilt, clutching a scroll and accompanied by well dressed companions.
Just such a group sat beside us in Smug Cafe in Great George Street. They needed some extra chairs so we had a bit of shuffling around and then I asked the kiltie if he’d just graduated. Of course, he had, as B.Sc. in Astrophysics. He didn’t say but he must have gained a very good degree as he’s now heading off to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania to study for a doctorate.
In June in Glasgow West End you can meet any number of groups brought together to celebrate graduations. These people had traveled from Newcastle and Sweden to celebrate their brother’s achievement – the beautiful little girl was shy and sweet. She’d been born in Glasgow. It was a pleasure to meet Husni and his family from Syria.
Sharing this snapshot of happiness was poignant and uplifting,
There’s turmoil in our country with all the recent chicanery, odious political bullying, xenophobia and economic uncertainty that we’ve been experiencing – it’s nothing compared to Syria.
Pat Byrne, 28 June, 2016.
This section: Seasonal Stories and Poems by Glasgow Writers, Writing
- Graeme Macrae Burnet – Glasgow Writer
- Old Coppers – short story by Lynne Maclagan
- Ruby McCann – Glasgow Writer
- Glasgow Writers: Tom Leonard
- Bernard MacLaverty: Glasgow Writer
- Janet Paisley: Scottish Author, Poet and Playwright
- Glasgow Writer: Samina Chaudry
- Glasgow Writers: Willy Maley
- Glasgow Writers: Alistair Braidwood – Scots Whay Hae!
- Glasgow Writers: Theresa Talbot
- Glasgow Writers: Pauline Lynch
- Balloch Open Mic on Zoom
- Glasgow Writer: Stuart Cosgrove
- Nursat Fatah Ali Praises Muhammad pbuh – Rizwan Akhtar
- Ghazal: Soul’s Food – Rizwan Akhtar
- Mongrel: Donna Campbell debut poetry collection
- Francesca Baird: Blogging about Autism: Work and My Fantasy World
- Francesca Baird: Blogging about Autism. Autism and Work (2)
- How Poets See The World – Paisley Book Festival 2021 review by Pat Byrne
- Weird Pleasure by Jim Ferguson review of the launch by Pat Byrne