From Page to Print: Shake the Kaleidoscope
Tuesday, 28 November, 2023 7 p.m.
Scottish Writers Centre, Clubroom, CCA, 350 Sauchiehall Street, Glasgow G2 3JD
SWC Favourite G. W. Colkitto will talk about his journey of becoming a successful poet and writer. He will share his insights on how he navigated the process of getting published and the challenges he faced along the way.
Memory, time, love and loss weave through all of G W Colkitto’s poems with a resonance that moves us fluidly from yearning to insight. The master of seeing connections, Shake the Kaleidoscope finds Colkitto taking a view across the whole of life: non-linear, sometimes fragmentary, imbued with whimsy and humour, but above all, permeable to the scars and triumphs of loss and love.
As the poems range back and forth across the years, one memory provoking another, it is not only the whole of the poet’s life laid out in the pieces of glass to be endlessly rearranged, but the whole of the human condition. Whether examining interior moments or negotiations with the world of work; whether writing astute commentary on political and social inequalities, or simply savouring those small moments of deep joy provoked by the simplest of things, Colkitto holds up a mirror to life―his own, and ours
G. W. Colkitto is a widely published poet, short story writer and novelist from Paisley. He won the Scottish Writers Short Story Competition, in 2011, and the Poetry Competition in 2012. His poetry collection, The Year of the Loch, was published by Diehard Press, in 2017; a second collection, Waitin tae Meet wi the Deil was published by Diehard 2018; and he published the pamphlet, Clyde: my river, with Cinnamon Press in 2022. He is also the creator of Sebastian Symes, Victorian Detective.
Tickets: £0-£7 PWYD
This section: Books, Talks, Poetry and Creative Writing Events
Filed under: Books, Talks, Poetry and Creative Writing Events
- Glasgow Literary and Music Lounge at The Scotia Bar
- Seeing Glasgow: An Artist’s View – Avril Patron
- Ajay Close Creative Conversations
- Maria Fusco – Creative Conversations
- Books at the Green with Chris Dolan
- Creative Conversations: Donna McLean
- Fundraiser for Medicin Sans Frontieres
- Creative Conversations, University of Glasgow
- From Glasgow to Saturn #51
- Poor Things Screening plus Alasdair Gray Archive Q&A + Exhibition
- Filmmaking with Kevin Macdonald at Glasgow Film Festival 2024
- Gray Day 2024
- Alasdair Gray Archive – Free Tours
- Scottish Writers Centre Speakeasy – Fooers fae the fillin station #2
- Books at the Botanics
- Creative Conversations: Jim Carruth
- Close Range Coulport – poem by Finola Scott
- Peace Poetry Night
- Tom Murray Book Launch – Scottish Writers
- Joe Murray: Book Launch ‘Walking on Scoraig’