Free entry to The Hunterian Scottish Gold Exhibition
Last two weeks of the stunning Scottish Gold exhibition at the Hunterian Art Gallery.
To give more visitors a last chance to see the golden wonders, The Hunterian is offering free entry to the exhibition on the weekends of 7 and 8 and 14 and 15 June.
Showcasing beautiful specimens of gold from across Scotland, Scottish Gold explores the treasured mineral and its many uses through time, from the early Bronze Age to today.
The exhibition also highlights the natural occurrence of gold in Scotland, from Scottish rock samples bearing glittering specks to some of the largest gold nuggets collected from rivers across Scotland.
This is the last chance to see the impressive selection of gold artefacts together including the Law Farm hoard of Iron Age gold torcs; the early Bronze Age Forteviot dagger, one of the earliest objects from Scotland to be decorated with gold; a fragment of the ‘cloth of gold’ which wrapped the body of Robert the Bruce; and a section of a sheep’s jaw with gold coated teeth from Kildonan, Sutherland.
Alongside this varied range of objects is a beautiful array of gold coins and medals including student prize medals from the University of Glasgow, and examples of contemporary goldsmithing.
Admission remains £5.00 (£3.00 concession) from Tuesday to Friday.
This section: Art, Photography, Exhibitions what's on-glasgow, Galleries
- Landmarks: Hugh MacDiarmid’s Brownsbank
- Compass Gallery – Gregor Smith Exhibition
- Truck Art at The Mela
- Creative Thursdays – Jewish Textile Art
- Project-Ability, Virtual Exhibition
- Window Works by Sean Ellcombe RGI Glasgow
- John Byrne at 80 – Glasgow Print Studio
- Govanhill Baths Archive Showcase
- Govanhill International Festival 2020
- Banner Promenade, The Deep End
- Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum Reopens
- Compass Gallery Glasgow – Anna Molin Exhibition
- Celebrating Diversity Festival
- Summer Art Sessions Woodlands Community
- Ian R. Mitchell – Some Images From Glasgow’s Past
- Film Friday Art in the Archive National Library of Scotland
- Oscar, Bravo! – live streaming Street Level Photoworks on Facebook
- Glasgow Window Art Festival – High Street and Saltmarket
- Glasgow Film Festival 2020: Close Up – Susan Wood Exhibition
- Looking at Mackintosh’s Masterpiece