Free entry to The Hunterian Scottish Gold Exhibition
Last two weeks of the stunning Scottish Gold exhibition at the Hunterian Art Gallery.
To give more visitors a last chance to see the golden wonders, The Hunterian is offering free entry to the exhibition on the weekends of 7 and 8 and 14 and 15 June.
Showcasing beautiful specimens of gold from across Scotland, Scottish Gold explores the treasured mineral and its many uses through time, from the early Bronze Age to today.
The exhibition also highlights the natural occurrence of gold in Scotland, from Scottish rock samples bearing glittering specks to some of the largest gold nuggets collected from rivers across Scotland.
This is the last chance to see the impressive selection of gold artefacts together including the Law Farm hoard of Iron Age gold torcs; the early Bronze Age Forteviot dagger, one of the earliest objects from Scotland to be decorated with gold; a fragment of the ‘cloth of gold’ which wrapped the body of Robert the Bruce; and a section of a sheep’s jaw with gold coated teeth from Kildonan, Sutherland.
Alongside this varied range of objects is a beautiful array of gold coins and medals including student prize medals from the University of Glasgow, and examples of contemporary goldsmithing.
Admission remains £5.00 (£3.00 concession) from Tuesday to Friday.
This section: Art, Photography, Exhibitions what's on-glasgow, Galleries
- Winnie Herbstein – Dampbusters at CCA
- Brian Whittingham – Writing Walks in Kelvingrove
- Lifting The Lid on Whistler at the Hunterian
- Willie Sutherland – Evolution of Wa at CCA
- Glasgow School of Art Digital Showcase 2021
- A Spotlight on Jack Knox – Compass Gallery
- The Hunterian: Jimmy Robert: Tobacco Flower
- 100 Years of the Barras Photography Exhibition
- Contemporary Quilt Group, The Auld Kirk
- ProjectAbility – Online Exhibition ‘Altered Space’
- SWG3 Opens New Gallery – Yard Life
- Joan Eardley Centenary – Writers Celebrate her work
- The Joan Eardley Centenary Celebration
- At Home Artist’s Talk: GOMA
- The Dance of the Lunar Creatrix – Marianne Wilson
- Greenpeace – Kelvin Way’s Low-Traffic Neighbourhood
- Winter Art Club for Kids – Paper Bag Portraits
- Glasgow Greenpeace – Kelvin Way Valentine’s Day
- Virtual Guided Tour of Barcelona’s Picasso Museum and the Gaudi
- Street Level Photography: In Focus, Brexit Tears