Free entry to The Hunterian Scottish Gold Exhibition
Last two weeks of the stunning Scottish Gold exhibition at the Hunterian Art Gallery.
To give more visitors a last chance to see the golden wonders, The Hunterian is offering free entry to the exhibition on the weekends of 7 and 8 and 14 and 15 June.
Showcasing beautiful specimens of gold from across Scotland, Scottish Gold explores the treasured mineral and its many uses through time, from the early Bronze Age to today.
The exhibition also highlights the natural occurrence of gold in Scotland, from Scottish rock samples bearing glittering specks to some of the largest gold nuggets collected from rivers across Scotland.
This is the last chance to see the impressive selection of gold artefacts together including the Law Farm hoard of Iron Age gold torcs; the early Bronze Age Forteviot dagger, one of the earliest objects from Scotland to be decorated with gold; a fragment of the ‘cloth of gold’ which wrapped the body of Robert the Bruce; and a section of a sheep’s jaw with gold coated teeth from Kildonan, Sutherland.
Alongside this varied range of objects is a beautiful array of gold coins and medals including student prize medals from the University of Glasgow, and examples of contemporary goldsmithing.
Admission remains £5.00 (£3.00 concession) from Tuesday to Friday.
This section: Art, Photography, Exhibitions what's on-glasgow, Galleries
- The Glasgow Guild Talks 2019
- Spanish Civil War Collections The Mitchell Library
- Sarah Kudirka Open Studio The Hidden Lane
- ‘Creatures as Natural Hunters’ Damian Henry Glasgow Print Studio
- Glasgow Museums – Great Big Heritage Bus Tour
- Spirit of Revolt, Show and Tell – Workers City, The Mitchell
- Glasgow Then and Now at The Mitchell Library
- Ilana Halperin: Minerals of New York, The Hunterian
- Linda McCartney Retrospective at Kelvingrove Art Gallery
- Glasgow School of Art Graduate Degree Show 2019
- Trees v Capitalism by Maggie Kelly at Woodland Community Workspace
- Govanhill: Portrait of a Community review Pat Byrne
- Young Talent, ProjectAbility
- Living in the Magic Garden, Cafe Gandolfi, Merchant City Glasgow
- Freed Spirit : The Paintings of Maria Spadoni (1928 – 2014) RGI
- Series of Creative Writing Masterclasses
- Mind and Draw Live Music and Poetry Art Sessions at WEvolution
- Have A Go – Calligraphy at The Mitchell Library
- Some things want to run V/DA | Sonic Séance: The Gathering CCA
- Anderson Gerard Exhibition at Offshore Cafe Glasgow