The Hunterian Gallery, Glasgow: Scottish Gold exhibition set to shine
14 March – 15 June 2014 Hunterian Art Gallery
A spectacular new exhibition at the Hunterian Art Gallery is set to shine when it opens in March.
Scottish Gold brings together a glittering array of the finest gold specimens and objects from The Hunterian collection and other institutions across the UK, including the British Museum and the Royal Collection in London.
The exhibition explores the use of gold in Scotland from prehistoric times to the present, offering an informative look at the history and cultural significance of the often valuable and highly sought-after precious metal.
Focussing on the occurrence of gold in Scotland and Scottish gold mining, the show also covers the natural history of gold, the first use of gold coinage in Scotland and the infamous Darien disaster of the late 1600s.
Amongst the many treasures on display will be Queen Victoria’s gold collar of the Order of the Thistle; ‘cloth of gold’ from the tomb of Robert the Bruce; a multitude of Scottish gold coins including a bonnet piece of James V; Bronze and Iron Age gold torcs including the hoard from Law Farm, Morayshire; a gold ampulla used at the Scottish Coronation of Charles I; the King’s Gold Cup from the Leith races of 1751 and ten of the largest gold nuggets found in Scottish rivers.
Contemporary items include an 18 carat solid gold quaich made by Scottish goldsmith Graham Stewart and a Millennium gold medal produced by Malcolm Appleby for the Royal Society of Edinburgh.
Scottish Gold offers a unique opportunity to learn about the precious metal as part of the natural history of Scotland and our close relationship with it over millennia.
Hunterian Art Gallery
82 Hillhead Street University of Glasgow Glasgow G12 8QQ
Open Tuesday – Saturday 10.00am – 5.00pm and Sunday 11.00am – 4.00pm
Closed Monday Admission free – admission charge for special exhibitions
For further information contact: Neil Clark, Curator <a href=”Neil.Clark@glasgow.ac.uk”>Neil.Clark@glasgow.ac.uk</a>
- The Sea of Paperwork Exhibition – Maryhill Integration Network
- a serenade for Lahore’s Rain – Rizwan Akhtar
- Sonica Festival 2022
- Compass Gallery: Gary Anderson RSW : Thoughts and Contemplations
- George Wylie Centenary Exhibition
- Book launch: Like A Tree Walking by Vahni Capildeo
- Glasgow Print Studio – Members’ Christmas Show 2021
- Art for Africa in Memory of Rony Bridges
- The Landing Hub – COP26 Fringe Event
- Christmas Commissions, Exhibition and Gifts Kelvin Art Studio & Gallery
- Palindrome: Cohen – Art Painting & Photography Exhibition
- Caroline Miller Art – Open Day
- Artivismo Pintando Murales Derribamos Muros – Digital Exhibition Launch
- The Pollution Pods – COP26 at Gartnavel
- RCC at COP26: Environmental Humanities Exhibition
- Cats Protection Jade Carrera Art Event
- Urban Potentials Exhibition Launch
- Art for Africa in memory of Rony Bridges
- Glasgow Open House Arts Festival 2021
- Ghost Signs Glasgow Exhibition Tour