The Drugstore Social, Cafe´and Cocktail Bar, Yorkhill, Glasgow
The Drugstore Social Cafe and Cocktail Bar,
67 Old Dumbarton Road, Yorkhill, G3 8RF
Today my friend Frances and I went along to The Drugstore Social for her birthday lunch. The new cafe and cocktail bar is the latest addition to the Kained Holdings group – who run nearby Lebowski’s, Porter & Rye and The Finnieston. The Drugstore Society just opened last month but it already has a very relaxed local feel to it.
Almost every table was taken and I think this will continue to be the case. It’s not often you find something so unique and innovative in the restaurant world but The Drugstore Social fulfills both criteria.
Building on the theme of the old dispensary building whee it is housed, it aims to impart a feeling of wellbeing through the food served. On the menu you can check out the benefits of ingredients including foraged foods, such as: nasturtiums, which can prevent colds and flu; cardomom, which relieves heartburn or lemon balm, if you are prone to earache.
Allow plenty of time to peruse the very informative and exciting menu. I can’t remember the last time I had such an adventure in a restaurant.
Both Frances and I opted for the freshly cooked flat breads. I chose the Confit Duck with Grand Padano cheese, with brambles and field mushroom and Frances had the Home cured pork, caramelized coul blush apple and fennel pollen. On the side we had Fennel blueberry and watercress salad and Heritage potato and celeriac gratin. Kevin, the duty manager, also recommended that we try the foraged mushrooms gathered by Maxim, their French forager – they were truly delicious, exquisitely tender and tasty. I would return for them alone.
Everything was delicious and pleasing to the eye. They say that the sensory perception of food plays a big part with regard to appetite for a meal and the enjoyment in eating. In this sense The Drugstore Social is most definitely quids in. My duck, decorated with little white flower heads and the rich purple brambles, was a work of art.
A further tour de force came in the form of our sweet, which we shared. I’d never seen or tasted anything like the lavender and rosemary roasted plums and lavender sorbet. It was an absolute dream and exquisitely palate cleansing. We both loved it.
We finished off with coffee and the cheeseboard, which also impressed with its accompanying pickled walnut shards, homemade oatcakes and fig compote.
The service was fantastic and Kevin and Laura, the assistant manager, were very friendly and helpful. They’re proud to be part of ‘a small but very enthusiastic team.’
The restaurant’s not pricey and there are some great deals on offer: including at lunchtime when you can choose between a sandwich or salad with soup of the day and a tea or coffee for only £5. Available to sit in or take away, Monday to Friday from 12pm ’til 4pm.
Or treat yourself to buckwheat buttermilk pancakes, Loch Duart smoked salmon and homemade tattie scones.
You could also pop in for the Pub Quiz and sample one of the healthy cocktails or share a bowl of ‘Fountain of Youth’ Punch.
You’ll love the feeling of fun at the restaurant and the chance to enjoy some of the very best of Scotland’s wild food.
Keep abreast of news and events at: The Drugstore Social Facebook
Call 0141-237-5370 or visit www.drugstoresocial.com
The Drugstore Social, 67 Old Dumbarton Road, Yorkhill, G3 8RF
Pat Byrne, 3 November, 2016
One response to “The Drugstore Social, Cafe´and Cocktail Bar, Yorkhill, Glasgow”
- Mother India A La Carte Christmas Menu 2019
- Mother India Christmas Lunch Set Menu 2019
- Hogmanay at Cottiers 2019
- Cottiers – Bar, Restaurant, Theatre, Glasgow West End
- Christmas Carousel The Platform
- Future Glue Christmas Party
- The Sensational Alex Harvey Experience Christmas & New Year Party
- Celebrate Hogmanay at OranMor 2019
- Kirsteen Harvey Live, Cottiers
- A Lad in Maryhill, Pantomime, Maryhill 2019
- Christmas at Glasgow Film Theatre 2019
- Matchbox Cineclub + Backseat Bingo Dial Code: Santa Claus + Secret Santa Party
- Hotel du Vin 1 Devonshire Christmas Market 2019
- Christmas Shopping at Thistle Books Glasgow West End
- Super Market Christmas QMU
- Christmas Glasgow: Rockin Robin Festive Hooley at Cottiers
- The Pure Amazing Wiz of Oz Panto at Websters 2019
- Have Yourself a Literary Solstice, Poetry is the Way to Peace
- Cinderella, Theatre School of Scotland
- St Nicks Christmas Market, QMU, Glasgow Uni