Creative Writing Courses – University of Glasgow
Have you ever fancied writing a novel, compiling a collection of short stories or completing a portfolio to enter a degree course at Glasgow University?
Degree Level courses in Creative Writing are offered at Levels 1, 2 and 3 are taken by undergraduate and international students and are also open to the public.
What the courses entail
Courses include group critiques, reading published works and writing. Students typically study a novel and short story collection, write a literature essay (focusing on writers’ techniques) and compile a portfolio of original fiction with the assistance of an experienced tutor.
Who can apply
The courses are open to adults of all ages and level of experience, whether you’ve been writing since you were a child or interested in trying something new. The courses can be used for admission to certain degree courses at GU depending on grades achieved.
All the Creative Writing courses are robust and are great for those seeking to compile a portfolio to enter university, or for those who just want to pull together a collection of short stories or write a novel. Invariably the courses make students better readers.
School leavers (or anyone) who didn’t obtain the necessary grades for university might also consider these courses, and full funding is available
Writing Prose Fiction: an introduction (Level 1)
My work email address should anyone wish to contact me is There is the possibility that funding for degree level courses can be obtained through the Student Award Agency for Scotland (SAAS)
Email Alan McMunnigal, Tutor, for further details
Creative Writing Students
Pamela studied Creative Writing and gained entry to degree course at University of Glasgow.
Student at Creative Writing Department of Open Studies University of Glasgow
- Autumn Creative Writing Courses – Dr Tawnya Selene Renelle
- Walking and Writing in the Botanics with Gerry Loose
- Walking and Writing with Lesley O’Brien, Glasgow Green
- Clydeside Creative Cafe – Out and About in Clydebank
- Websters Youth Theatre Summer School
- Brian Whittingham – Writing Walks in Kelvingrove
- Joy Dunlop – Gaelic Live Online Concert and Ceilidh
- Hillhead Summer Arts Academy 2021
- Composting and food waste reduction workshop
- Aye Write 2021 – Kicking Off This Weekend
- Aye Write 2021 Creative Writing
- Beginners Bird I.D.
- Wellbeing for Artists Working in Older People’s Care
- Celebrate Your Story – Workshop with Samina Chaudry
- Writing for Wellbeing Workshops
- Poetry and Creative Writing Classes (Spring 2021) with Linda Jackson
- Winter Art Club for Kids – Paper Bag Portraits
- James McAvoy Edinburgh Youth Theatre – Masterclass
- Breathe Better: Beginners Breathing Workshop
- Govanhill International Festival 2020