Creative Writing Courses – University of Glasgow
Have you ever fancied writing a novel, compiling a collection of short stories or completing a portfolio to enter a degree course at Glasgow University?
Degree Level courses in Creative Writing are offered at Levels 1, 2 and 3 are taken by undergraduate and international students and are also open to the public.
What the courses entail
Courses include group critiques, reading published works and writing. Students typically study a novel and short story collection, write a literature essay (focusing on writers’ techniques) and compile a portfolio of original fiction with the assistance of an experienced tutor.
Who can apply
The courses are open to adults of all ages and level of experience, whether you’ve been writing since you were a child or interested in trying something new. The courses can be used for admission to certain degree courses at GU depending on grades achieved.
All the Creative Writing courses are robust and are great for those seeking to compile a portfolio to enter university, or for those who just want to pull together a collection of short stories or write a novel. Invariably the courses make students better readers.
School leavers (or anyone) who didn’t obtain the necessary grades for university might also consider these courses, and full funding is available
Writing Prose Fiction: an introduction (Level 1)
My work email address should anyone wish to contact me is There is the possibility that funding for degree level courses can be obtained through the Student Award Agency for Scotland (SAAS)
Email Alan McMunnigal, Tutor, for further details
Creative Writing Students
Pamela studied Creative Writing and gained entry to degree course at University of Glasgow.
Student at Creative Writing Department of Open Studies University of Glasgow
- Scottish Writers Centre: Playwriting Workshop
- The Voyage Out: The Travel Writing Workshop with Linda Jackson
- Acting Up – Drama Workshops for Children and Young People
- Aye Festival – Spit it Out
- Scottish Writers: Bloomsday Celebration with Christie Williamson
- Earth Day 2022 at Music Broth
- Street Cones – Recovering Voices Online Course
- Festival of Fitness in support of Ukraine
- Beginners Stained Glass Evening Course Glasgow
- Spotlight on Stress- free online masterclass
- Beyond Form Creative Writing Courses
- Interfaith Food Justice: Winter Networking Event
- COP26: Eco Echoes, Tinderbox Collective: Write Songs and Make Games
- Artivismo Pintando Murales Derribamos Muros – Digital Exhibition Launch
- Lego Build The Change – University of Strathclyde
- Autumn Creative Writing Courses – Dr Tawnya Selene Renelle
- Walking and Writing in the Botanics with Gerry Loose
- Walking and Writing with Lesley O’Brien, Glasgow Green
- Clydeside Creative Cafe – Out and About in Clydebank
- Websters Youth Theatre Summer School