City of Glasgow Chorus West End Festival
Sunday, 9 June, 2019 – 7.30 p.m.
Part of West End Festival
The City of Glasgow Chorus is proud to present two contrasting choral works as its contribution to the West End Festival 2019 programme.
Ola Gjeilo is a Norwegian composer who burst into the choral scene in 2007. His recent and rapid rise to fame has been boosted by his Sunrise Mass which was commissioned in the same year. Gjeilo’s style and fingerprint is very distinctive and is the result of an amalgamation of cinematic and classical influences with sacred and secular elements. His Sunrise Mass was clearly commissioned with one eye on the big screen and another towards the past in the direction of Brahms, Britten, Durufle and Bach. His stand alone piece, The Ground which is becoming very popular with singers and audiences alike, forms the last movement of the Mass.
Filling the second half of the concert is Durufle’s Requiem which was composed in 1947 and only in the last three decades has the work begun to take its rightful place among the major choral masterworks. The subtle rhythms and fluid lines of Gregorian chant permeate the whole work, personalised by the colours, harmonies and styles of a deeply religious 20th century musician.
Hyndland Parish Church (now renamed Kingsborough Sanctuary), 81 Hyndland Road, Glasgow G12 9JE
This section: West End Festival Glasgow
Filed under: West End Festival Glasgow
- Queen Margaret Drive Festival, West End Festival 2019
- Kirklee Allotments Open Day West End Festival 2019
- The Thursday Show at The Stand, West End Festival 2019
- A Stab in the Dark : Murder on Byres Road West End Festival 2019
- The Big West End Festival Closing Party Cottiers
- Paintings on Railings West End Festival
- Julia Donaldson – The Gruffalo and other stories at West End Festival
- Dusty Won’t Play at OranMor, West End Festival
- Rab Noakes, Websters 2
- A Place For The Work and The Human Being
- Lids Open Day with Glasgow Piano City West End Festival
- Charles Rennie Mackintosh by John Cairney, West End Festival 2019
- Ceilidh Dances at Cottiers, West End Festival 2019
- Advocating for a Basic Income – West End Festival
- Restless Natives – a screening West End Festival
- West End Shop Fronts, Virtual Tour Kelvin Hall
- SambaYaBamba & Friends West End Festival 2019
- Glasgow Botanic Gardens: 200 Years at West End Festival 2019
- Last Tango In Little Titwood West End Festival
- Wilton Street Garden Fete