Chestnuts Roasting On An Open Fire: A Christmas Story by Jim Byrne
Chestnuts roasting on an open fire, click. Chestnuts roasting on an open fire, click.
Well no chestnuts, a ‘flame effect fire’ – and three pot heads – all being comfortably roasted.
The needle kept jumping on the record but nobody moved from the couch. A flame effect fire can keep you entertained for hours. A fifth can of lager and the likelihood of moving anywhere is low.
“This is the best Christmas I’ve ever had,” said Dougie.
Cammy and Mick nodded and laughed – for no reason. Their cheeks were red, stomachs full and a heavy stupor settled upon all three.
“Hand me that guitar,” said Cammy.
Dougie picked it up from the side of the couch and handed it over.
“Chestnuts roasting on an open fire, click,” Cammy sang along.
“Chestnuts roasting on an open fire, click…” They all joined in. “Chestnuts roasting on an open fire, click, chestnuts roasting on an open fire, click, click, chestnuts roasting on an open fire…”
They sang – and laughed hysterically and their three bellies bounced in time with the music. “Ahh.. just like old times” said Dougie.
At this point we leave them – to the best Christmas they’ve ever had.
This section: Christmas Poems , Stories and Winter Tales
Filed under: Christmas Poems , Stories and Winter Tales
- Twelve Days of Christmas – Leela Soma
- Shaking Hands With Christmas – Brian Whittingham
- To Move On – short story by Samina Chaudry
- The Angel Beds by Michael Crossan
- The Fortune Teller by Pat Byrne
- Hopes and Fears by James Connarty
- Driving to Mass by Micheal Norton
- Christmas Chocolate Log with Irish Cream Filling by Mags McGrath
- Tak Tent (Take Care) Christmas video – Janet Crawford
- Ice on Loch Lomond a poem by Catriona Malan
- Ruby saves the day by Gillian Mayes
- Fionnuala Boyle – Glove Makes the World Go Round
- Mary Irvine’s Blog: Christmas Customs and Festivals
- Some Wintertime Poems by Finola Scott
- I Deserve This – a poem for Christmas by Calum Maclean
- A Christmas Poem – The Forgotten by Margaret Harrison
- Frohe Weihnachten – a Christmas Poem by Brian Whittingham
- The Stress of Christmas Wrapping by Calum Maclean
- Christmas Day – a story by Cornelius Doherty
- Seasons Greetings from Stef Shaw The Glasgow Cabbie