Bob Law’s Walks and Photography: Silverburn to Barrhead
An Enjoyable One Way Walk
A couple of months ago I had a very enjoyable walk, one best undertaken by bus or train due to different start and end points and a lack of suitable parking places.
I boarded an express bus X8 from Buchanan Bus Station which went directly to the Silverburn Shopping Centre in the middle of Pollok via the M8 motorway, arriving 15 mins later, so very fast. At the right hand corner of Silverburn’s Cineworld a green ribbon path is followed, from an obvious ten foot high brown statue of a kissing couple, that runs beside The Brock Burn.
In spring and summer this path is very lush and green with wild flowers, vegetation, and trees as it skirts Priesthill. This path then leads out onto Kennishead Road at Darnley and another green path is followed running between the M77 and Arden until you reach Darnley Mill and the Darnley Tree.
You then walk up through the Dams to Darnley Country Park bordering the Corselet Road, once a rural country lane with working farm and fields full of dairy cattle up until the 1970s. nowadays small scattered owner occupied housing estates until you get up a bit further into cattle country again.
Green wooded paths lead up to the Barrhead Dams and the red brick Victorian railway viaduct. A continuation path further on runs around the largest dam, (Balgray Reservoir) and this in turn leads to Auchenback in Barrhead where a number 3 bus beside Aurs Road on the edge of that estate took me back into Glasgow.
Great views throughout of the Brownside Braes, the numerous ponds and dams passed, distant city centre views, and the lush Renfrewshire countryside. One of the best linear walks in Glasgow which takes around 3 to 4 hours depending on speed. If arriving by train is easier
Priesthill or Kennishead Station can be the start point with Barrhead station the end point. A great half day walk at any time of year but at its very best on a sunny spring or summers day.
This section: Bob Law: photographer, walker and writer, Walks in Glasgow
- Moments Of Beauty In Glasgow: Walking Tour
- Bob Law: Walk and Photography – Greenock and Gourock Circular
- Bob Law’s Blog: The Knock: A Small Hill Above Largs
- Bob Law’s Blog: Photography and Walks – David Livingstone Centre and River Clyde Walk
- Peter Mortimer – Healthy Historical Walk, Glasgow Green
- Bob Law’s Walks and Photography: Silverburn to Barrhead
- Wully Davidson Bus Pass Rambles: Kerrera
- Wully Davidson: Kerrera Misadventure
- Bob Law’s Blog: Cuningar Loop and The River Clyde Walkway.
- Bob Law’s Blog: Crookston Castle and Pollok – walking and photography
- Bob Law: The Beauty of Renfrewshire
- Bob Law’s Blog: Isle of Bute – walking and cycling
- Bob Law’s Blog: A Cold Snap
- Bob Law’s Blog: An Appreciation of Autumn
- Glasgow Open Door Days 2022 – The Barras Trail
- Bob Law’s Blog: Wood Carving Artworks
- Bob Law’s Blog: The Wonders of Arran
- A Musical Walking Tour of John Maclean’s Pollokshaws
- Bob Law’s Blog: Glamaig, Isle of Skye
- A Walk Around Edinburgh Castle