Blazin’ Fiddles at Celtic Connections 2016 review and photographs by Pauline Keightley
Blazin Fiddles were on fire at their Celtic Connections Gig on 30th January, 2016 at O2 ABC.
An accomplished fiddle band, they produce a rich, well honed and diverse sound. There was tight interplay between the musicians, interwoven tunes and flowing reels that gave rise to plenty of foot tapping and stomping.
Blazin’ Fiddles are – Angus Lyon, Anna Massie, Bruce MacGregor, Jenna Reid, Kristan Harvey and Rua Macmillan.
The Elephant Sessions, who won the Scottish Trad Music Awards new artists award 2014, provided entertained with great tunes and provided excellent support.
Blazin’ Fiddles came together as a project for the Highland Festival in 1998 to showcase the particular styles of Highlands and Islands’ fiddle music. What started out as playing a few tunes together has resulted in Blazin’ Fiddles becoming one of the most exciting and talked about folk bands in the country.
- Govanhill Children’s Book Festival
- Hannah Rarity at Cottiers (rescheduled)
- Kim Edgar and Rhona Macfarlane at Cottiers
- Piping Live! Family Fun Day
- Scotland on Tour – The Rum Shack, Glasgow
- The Paul McKenna Band – Websters Theatre
- The Mould That Changed The World – Websters Theatre
- Access Film Club: Hot Fuzz
- Blind Ambition at Glasgow Film Theatre
- Eric Ravilious: Drawn To War at GFT
- Notre Dame On Fire at GFT
- Nightclubbing: The Birth of Punk Rock in New York City
- The Harder They Come – 50th Annivesary
- Break the Cycle of Homelessness with Social Bite
- Occupy! Occupy! Occupy! – graphic novel launch
- Cottiers – Bar, Restaurant, Theatre, Glasgow West End
- Govanhill’s Got Talent
- Mary Irvine’s Blog: Review – The Way Home by Robin Scott-Elliot
- Beyond the Rainbow (100th Birthday Celebration for Judy Garland)
- CINE(STHESIA )- Last Day of the Trams